Hello from Ontario

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

seth d

Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
Durham Ontario
  Greeting from the North.  Where to begin.  Well, I work as a brick and stone mason on residential houses.  Been working at it for 11 years now.  I am a 30 year old privileged white male and am married to a white woman and we have three white kids... we live in an bungalow in a small town in Ontario.  Pretty original eh? 

My skill level in grilling and smoking would be beginner level.  We used to always smoke and grill when I was young but that was long ago.  I am looking to make my own now that I have a house and room to build.

Hobbies include but not limited to running a shovel, pick, and sledgehammer; playing with my kids; riding my motorcycle; working on the house or in the yard; and last but not least, spending time with the wife.  I used to play bass guitar in bands but a somewhat recent injury to my hand has designated me to being a drummer.  Now I mostly just play with the church worship team as time to practice covers or original material is just not there. 

Well I look forward to getting to know you all.  I have been reading up and trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can before starting the build.  The frost is quite a bit different here then say in NC.  I think 42" is the frost line.  I was just going to pour a pad and do an Argentine grill but realize that I would not be fulfilled without a smoker.  Ug, already dug out a 28' by 22' patio so what is a 8' by 4' footing. 

Good to have you with us, Seth!
It's great to hear of someone with a skilled trade and proud of it. We need more of that!
You're 30 and talking about when you were young? Son, you're still a pup to many of us LOL!
Blessings to you and your family and looking forward to hearing more from you...

Dan

Yes I am young but hell, my body is already telling me that I am old.  I don't think there is anyway I will be able to take this trade into retirement.  As much as I love it, I don't think that is going to be an option. 

Yes I am young but hell, my body is already telling me that I am old.  I don't think there is anyway I will be able to take this trade into retirement.  As much as I love it, I don't think that is going to be an option. 
Yeah, that's what the powers that be don't seem to realise when they talk about retirement ages. It's fine if you sit at a desk, maybe, but if you make a living physically it's a different story. I carried some hod as a constuction laborer in my twenties. No way could I toss a shovel of mortar up 8' onto a scaffold now, at least not one after the other. I've been in management the last 10 or 12 years in the trade show business, but when things get tight I sometimes have to jump in, and frankly, at 63 it kicks my ass, though I don't let on to the youngsters. I just go home and collapse with some Ibuprofen.
You still have time to look for options. Keep your eyes and ears open and stay proud!
Dan

welcome1.gif
  to the forum!

Glad to have you aboard!

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky