Hello from Maryland

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BJMRamage

Original poster
Jan 6, 2021
Hello....

new to the Smoking world. was gifted a Masterbuilt Propane Smoker for Christmas. still have NOT opened the box as I am a bit nervous and wanting to review everything I can before starting.

I may have lots of questions to ask if anyone wants to lend an ear.

I'm down in Southern Maryland and I'm a newbie too, welcome! I did take my new Camp Chef Smoke Vault 18 out for a test spin with a prime rib with good results and will be dropping a pork butt next. Be sure to season your smoker after assembly, yo will find some directions in your manual but I think more practical advice can be found on here.

Reactions: BJMRamage
Welcome from another Marylander. You can't learn anything with it in the box. I have a Master Built 40" propane that is about 7 or 8 years old. Ask your questions and I'm sure you will get a response.

Warren

JOURNAL
Does anyone use a journal or notes to track your smokes? What do you have in them? I read about keeping track of how things cook, how your smoker heats/smokes for hours, etc just to figure out what to do next time. I couldn’t find anything I liked and decided to put one together (I can use a fillable PDF but will probably have this printed and put into some ring clips). If you want to see what is in mine and have any suggestions on changes/additions here is a link to download: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0v-5coEy22-FraQc8qHFs2D3g#SmokinJournal_Editable

TEMPERATURE
I will most likely be edging the door frame with a gasket seal to retain heat. Currently I have a Meater+ thermometer for my oven/grill cooking—I like the wireless and Bluetooth concept but it is expensive to add more units, wondering if with multiple meats or just eyeing the internal temperature I could start with a cheaper wired thermometer and still use the Meater in the meat. Maybe there is a less expensive route for starting out that I could use temporarily and not drop a lot right away.

ACCESSORIES This may be more miscellaneous but what other add-ons would be good to start with: Gloves, Knives, Cutting Boards, Claws, Butcher Paper...

Knives
I have a decent set of knives now and probably can hold off until I start cooking larger meats for slicing…I looked into wooden-handle blades and then just commercial kitchen style with a plastic handle and no tang.

Cutting Boards
currently I use thin/flexible plastic cutting mats for raw and a wooden board for cooked. I used to work in deli’s years ago and like the thicker plastic cutting boards but not sure if I should look at any certain material since I have seen them come in various Polys.

Butcher Paper
so…wrap in butcher paper or simply foil…or avoid any Crutch at all?Probably a preference and something I thought maybe I start with 2 pork butts and one naked and one I wrap part-way through.

My plan was to use chicken to start as it is cheap but then thought a Pork Butt is more forgiving.
Thanks in advance if you answer any of the above.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
facebook_1609806839985_6752019268177501088.jpg IMG_20210102_194451_3.jpg facebook_1609806877461_6752019425365234788.jpg
Butter garlic

I'm down in Southern Maryland and I'm a newbie too, welcome! I did take my new Camp Chef Smoke Vault 18 out for a test spin with a prime rib with good results and will be dropping a pork butt next. Be sure to season your smoker after assembly, yo will find some directions in your manual but I think more practical advice can be found on here.

so...I can't find too much on seasoning. I read to use Oil, or Pam, or Bacon Grease, or Lard....

Keeping notes help repeat what you achieved and what worked and what didn't also note any changes you would like to make to what you did. The chip pan that comes in them is not that good so most of us use a 10" cast iron fry pan. I'm a no wrap anything person.

Let me put this in you will find that a lot of what members post are personal preference and may or may not change the end results. Just my $.02

Where you located in Maryland.

Warren

Thanks for the like BJMRamage it is appreciated.

Doing things like briskets and pork butts which are long cooks in my opinion is not for the beginner but do something easy and for giving like chicken. You need to first learn how to control your smoker.

Warren

Welcome from Mississippi. MB gasser user here also. brush up on your pic taking and happy smoking. Any questions dont hesitate to ask.
Jim

Keeping notes help repeat what you achieved and what worked and what didn't also note any changes you would like to make to what you did. The chip pan that comes in them is not that good so most of us use a 10" cast iron fry pan. I'm a no wrap anything person.

Let me put this in you will find that a lot of what members post are personal preference and may or may not change the end results. Just my $.02

Where you located in Maryland.

Warren

HarCo...you?

And yes, I get that everything is a personal preference I just like to gather data and figure out what steps I may take. like when cooking/baking I read through a bunch of recipes and see what others do and then adjust what I do.

Thanks for the Cast Iron Tip!! I read about that in other places and though some prefer a thinner metal pan (saying CI takes a bit too long to heat) I like the longevity and possible heat-holding ability to slow down any drastic changes in temps

Welcome. Sounds like you have all the tools are more knowledge than you give yourself credit for. Open the box and give it a try. If it was complicated I wouldn't be able to do it.

thanks everyone for the warm welcome.
Possibly I'll break into the box this weekend and see what I can do.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky