Hello from Dallas, Tx

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

filphrench

Original poster
Feb 22, 2023
Hi all, My name is Phil and I am new to the forum. I work full time but do try and find time to work on smoking meats. I have two boys, one in college and one about to be in high school. I have yet to produce a great brisket that I consider great. The elusive perfect brisket has eluded me but one day I will get there. Looking to add an offset to my Yoder YS640.

1677151075491.png

Welcome from NW Iowa. You should have no problem making great brisket on that Yoder. What problem are you having? Tough, Dry? More info on the problem and how you are cooking them will help give you suggestions.

Reactions: filphrench
Welcome Phil. I live just up the road in Sherman. Those briskets can be tough. I just did a smaller one and ended up taking 12 hours. It was stubborn. I also do long rest of at least 4 hours which usually means I dont eat until the next day. Watch Market Street as they been selling them cheap. Got one for $0.99 and another for $1.49. I will give you the heads up when I see.

Welcome Phil, from Indiana. You'll find lots of help here so don't be shy. Tell us about your past brisket smokes and without a doubt, people here will provide some advise on what you might consider changing.

Hi all, My name is Phil and I am new to the forum. I work full time but do try and find time to work on smoking meats. I have two boys, one in college and one about to be in high school. I have yet to produce a great brisket that I consider great. The elusive perfect brisket has eluded me but one day I will get there. Looking to add an offset to my Yoder YS640.
Welcome from South Florida ( north cuba)

I appreciate all the welcome messages. Seems like a good community here. This issue I have with my briskets is that I can't keep the flat from drying out while rendering the fat properly in the point. I am happy with the flavor with salt, pepper and garlic. I have tried a few different things (fat side up/down, wrapping foil/paper, smoked then sous vide then smoked). I am going to keep on until I get it right.

Welcome Phil. I live just up the road in Sherman. Those briskets can be tough. I just did a smaller one and ended up taking 12 hours. It was stubborn. I also do long rest of at least 4 hours which usually means I dont eat until the next day. Watch Market Street as they been selling them cheap. Got one for $0.99 and another for $1.49. I will give you the heads up when I see.
That is great. Please do. I am always looking for good deals. Next Brisket I cook I am going to rest longer than I typically do.

That is great. Please do. I am always looking for good deals. Next Brisket I cook I am going to rest longer than I typically do.
Some thing I been doing that seems like it should not work better but it does is putting brisket on rack in pan, add some hot liquid and cover with foil instead of wrapping. I usually do this around 160 internal. I started doing this because of leaks in foil. Had a heck of a mess once. Brisket stays above liquide like this.

Welcome aboard Phil. We have plenty of Yoder folks, and plenty of brisket folks that can help you reach your goal.

Chris

Oh yeah, we have a throw-down currently going on. If you haven't already, can you take a minute and vote for the entry you like best. We'd appreciate it.

Thanks
Chris

Here's a link:

Some thing I been doing that seems like it should not work better but it does is putting brisket on rack in pan, add some hot liquid and cover with foil instead of wrapping. I usually do this around 160 internal. I started doing this because of leaks in foil. Had a heck of a mess once. Brisket stays above liquide like this.
I will give this a shot. Thanks!

Welcome Phil. I live just up the road in Sherman.
Welcome to the loony bin full of enablers Phil. We have a reputation for being great spenders of other people's money so be forewarned. Also, you best watch out for that Brian character. He is trouble personified!! Before ya know it he's gonna hve you cooking all sorts of amazing stuff, fishing on Lake Texoma, and hanging out in the brew pub. All of this after he's melted a few of your credit cards with gadgets you just gotta have :emoji_laughing:
Some thing I been doing that seems like it should not work better but it does is putting brisket on rack in pan, add some hot liquid and cover with foil instead of wrapping.
This is very similar to how I do mine but I use the insert from a large roasting pan, braising liquid in the bottom, brisket on a rack, and onto the grill (top rack, indirect heat) covered with the lid for the pan after hitting an IT of 160 or so. Using the lid versus foil makes it far easier to check on it and/or baste if you deem necessary. Keep us posted!!

Robert from Central Texas

Not sure if you aware of it or not but Plano has a great meat market that makes the best fresh sausages called Hirsh's Meat Market. I really like the cheeseburger and cuban but they all good. All their meat is good but I usually only get whats on sale. I could spend a fortune in there but my wallet says no!

Not sure if you aware of it or not but Plano has a great meat market that makes the best fresh sausages called Hirsh's Meat Market. I really like the cheeseburger and cuban but they all good. All their meat is good but I usually only get whats on sale. I could spend a fortune in there but my wallet says no!
Sounds familiar but I have never been. I will have to check it out. Cheeseburger sound great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky