Hello from Colorado

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jdranchman

Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 15, 2023
I'm new to the forum but not new to smoking. I grew up ranching, hunting and fishing and grilling and smoking stuff from all three. I miss my grandpa's venison summer sausage and breakfast links so I'm starting to learn about making my own. Being an engineer I have to read a few books first, ask around lots and research way too much. My first smoker was an old fat steel refrigerator (this should date me a little) and a Little Chief. Fast forward through many steel and aluminum smokers that fell apart to now and I have a Camp Chef WW pellet grill. It is great for anything that is cooked low and slow but not for smoking sausages at lower temps.

Someone here said that this forum isn't the place to be to save money. Truth.

Seeing all the pics of mods and reading everyone's ideas is really intoxicating. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

I. Dived. In. Too. Deep.

I found an old Cookshack SM066 that need a bit of bodywork & casters but it came with their lower cabinet. The auction buyer replaced the broken controller. Time to clean it up and over engineer it. I've rewired it and removed the limited CS controller so I can plug it into an Auber AW-1520H - because I want WiFi and lower temp control for smoking sausage. Got a Bella CSG and the James Jerky drier from SI too. The drier can plug into the smoke generator power port on the back of the Auber. Also got new SS racks, woodbox, thermal cut off switch and a spare heating element from CS. I'm going to weld up a new SS base (dolly sort of) to mount heavy duty casters on as the current design is too wobbly for my liking.

Now I'm ready to spin up my new 1.5hp grinder, 50 lb mixer and sausage stuffer.

If "anyone" asks, I've had all this for a while now and I'm just starting to get it together. My freezer full of beef, pork and venison is scared!

P.S. I'm so thankful for a patient wife

Attachments

• PXL_20230527_202753402.jpg
    PXL_20230527_202753402.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: SmokinEdge
Welcome from Colorado. I think you will fit in just fine. You have been enabling yourself just fine it’s sounds like. Nice equipment list. Now it’s time to get it all dirty. Lol.

Reactions: jdranchman
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky