Hello from Chattanooga, TN!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mechpatt

Original poster
Jul 4, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Hey everyone! New member here from Chattanooga, TN. I bought my first smoker a little over a year ago. It's an Oklahoma Joe Highland.
The night I brought her home

I looked at several other smokers and read lots of reviews needle picking this one. The first thing I did was a high temp burn in. Took it all the way up to about 500°, then brought it back down to about 300°, rubbed the inside of main chamber with vegitable oil and let it smoke for about 5 hours with hickory to let it season.
After that the only thing I've done with it is grill until today. I finally smoked my first piece of meat, A small 3.2 lb brisket. Full report on that will be posted later.

Anyway I've lurked here and read a few posts since I got my smoker. Figured I'd go ahead and sign up and introduce myself.

Welcome to the site!  A 3.2 pound brisket might be difficult.  It could dry out if the smoker gets too hot.  Best of luck.

Mike

Nice smoke!  I would bet that it was a little dry from under cooking.  You pulled it at 175, that is a bit low for breaking down the connective tissue.  When this melts, it produces a juicy briskey!  Points on that first smoke!

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky