Hello from Central Jersey!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

njmeathead

Original poster
Dec 17, 2013
Union County, NJ
Good morning everyone. My name is Dan and I've made the jump from lurker to member. I've been making BBQ and other smoked meat products going on close to a year. I have a OK Joes Longhorn smoker. My Dad and I are talking about converting it a double pass system this spring. The rest of my equipment is a Cabelas Pro Series Grinder/Stuffer and a Chefs Choice 610 slicer. I'm a hunter, fisherman, and gardener so I always have a variety of meats to experiment with, not to mention my own hot peppers.

I joined because I always find myself coming to this forum when I need a question answered or a technique explained, etc...

I think my next project is going to be some belly bacon brined in Pops Brine, or maybe another batch of Canadian bacon.

Here's a couple pics from yesterdays session:

15 pounds of pork loin. Cured it with a simple dry cure of Morton's Tender Quick and brown sugar. I let it cure for 7 days, rinsed a couple times, then let it form a pellicule for 6 days. And you can see the fresh homemade Kielbasa in the background ready to go smoke.

And the Kielbasa done. I used a natural casing and the spice mix came from Butcher-Packer. All the cooking was done with Cherry and Pecan at around 250*, which was surprisingly easy to maintain even being 24* outside yesterday.

Last edited:
Hello Dan and welcome aboard!  That's some great looking qview!  This is the best place I know for sharing ideas on smoking, grilling, curing, etc.  There are plenty of friendly, knowledgeable folks who really enjoy helping one another.  Looking forward to your input here, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

Red

Dan, Glad to have you on board as a member! Your Que skills are outstanding. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums.

Enjoy the Smoke!

Welcome to the SMF Family...I grew up in Piscataway. Where you at? Please add your location to your profile, it will help us help you later on...JJ 

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky