Hello everyone

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinstevo27

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Ive browsed this site quite a bit and impressed by the wealth of knowledge of the collective membership. Im new to cooking barbecue and Im completely hooked. I cant think of anything better than having a few beers and trying to craft some good food. Its a great hobby and I look forward to expanding my barbecue skill set with help from all of you. Im currently using a ecb with a simple modification, I took the bottom of my smokey joe and am using it for my fire pan. My main fault is fire control and any tips would be much appreciated.
620bbb25_smoker.jpg

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
icon_cool.gif

Welcome to SMF - you should have someone along pretty soon with the answer to your question - good luck with the smoker

Welcome aboard!  Glad to have you hear on SMF.  Just remember we love to drool over some Qview so post some up of your next smoke.

What kind of fire control problems are you having?  I have thought about trying the smokey joe to get a longer burn time.  I still use the factory fire pan with holes drilled in it for air flow.  I only get about 3 to 4 good hours of burn out of each pan full. The ash builds up and puts out the fire. I figured with the smokey joe you could get better air flow control and ash removal. 

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome StevO to SMF. you'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction

It gets too hot! Im smoking a couple of butts for a fantasy football draft party tomorrow. Im going to try using less fuel and maybe less water in the pan. N2smokin I would definitely try the smokey joe mod. It eliminates the problem of wasted smothered coals and theres no drilling or labor involved. You definitely get longer burn times but you also have to get used to it. Im just going to fiddle around until I get it right.

Welcome to SMF Stevo, glad to have you with us.  I don't know how full you load it up with charcoal but if it is quite a bit then i would back off a little.  I usually throw a full chimney in when i start and then add 6 or so as temps fall.  If it gets too full of ash I can lift the ECB up off the pan, dump and add another chimney.  I have had pretty good luck keeping temps where i want them.  On the subject of less water in the pan, don't know if you want to do that.  The water helps with keeping the temps more constant, you remove the water you may have more fluctuations in your temps.  I usually fill a little more than 1/2 full of water and add some onions, BBQ sauce, rub, & Beer.

Good luck to ya!

Some nice looking pig butt right there!!!

Great looking qview man - congrats on your great looking smoke

On the subject of less water in the pan, don't know if you want to do that.  The water helps with keeping the temps more constant, you remove the water you may have more fluctuations in your temps.  I usually fill a little more than 1/2 full of water and add some onions, BBQ sauce, rub, & Beer.

Good luck to ya!
I was under the impression that the water pan was there to control the temp of the burn as well.  When my temps start rising, I add some cooler (Not Cold) water & my temps come right down.  I think you should re-consider using less water.  Use a littler more water & maybe even try using cooler water instead.  This should help control your temp problem.

I don't know why you say you have a problem with the awesome looking butt you put out from your rig.  That was just dam tasty right there!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome aboard, Stevo!

I'm with Caveman - that's one fine looking butt ya have there
biggrin.gif

Good to have ya - lots a folks here with LOTS a good info.

Again, nice pulled pork.

Hello, and welcome to the SMF. A lot can be learned by just reading through the different forums, good stuff from great folks. It's all good my friend.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome and sage advice! My last cook went well and was a big hit at my fantasy draft party. Unfortunately even though I fed everyone I still didnt come a way with a great running back! I did however manage to draft Drew Brees so thats a plus.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky