Hello Everyone!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
A don't know how I missed this thread but Welcome Smokin Miss!

For sausages I think you'll be limited to fresh for really low sodium but that's not saying you can't smoke them to eat!

Low Salt Breakfast Sausage

I haven't been able to get to the Wassi's Meats web site recently, which has been my favorite place to buy salt free sausage seasonings. So I've gone back to making to own. You can buy ground pork in most large supermarkets, but if you have a grinder you can make a much lower fat version by trimming leaner cuts of pork and grinding them yourself

1 lb Pork,Ground
1/4 t Black Pepper
1/4 t White Pepper
3/4 t Sage
1/4 t Mace
1/2 t Garlic Powder
1/4 t Onion Powder
1/4 t Allspice,Ground

Combine all ingredients, mixing well. Freeze, fry or smoke to cook just before eatting.

Low Salt Pepperoni

5 lbs meat
1 t cayenne pepper
4 1/2 t paprika
1/2 t Fennel Seed,Crushed
1/2 t Aniseed,Crushed
1 1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t sugar
1 t Dry Mustard
dash of Allspice
1 t citric acid powder
* liquid smoke (Do not smoke these there's no Nitrates or salt) you can also used smoked paprika instead of liquid smoke.

Mix the dry ingredients well. Store in an airtight container. To use, slice small red tomatoes like Romas very thin (1/8"). If the tomatoes are very juicy, you might need to blot them between paper towels to remove excess moisture. Lay the slices on wax paper in a single layer. Brush with liquid smoke and sprinkle evenly and fairly generously with spices. (If you don't have a good sprinkling jar, spoon a little of the spice mix into a small strainer and use that to get an even coating.) Turn the slices over. Brush with liquid smoke again and sprinkle with spices. These can be used immediately or refrigerated for a day or two.

Low Salt Chickne Rub
3 T Smoked Paprika
1 T Black Pepper,Fresh Ground
1 T Garlic powder
1 T Celery Seed
1 T Sugar
1 T Dry Mustard
1 T Onion Powder
1 12 t Poultry Seasoning
1 T Thyme

Combine all ingredients. mixing well. Store in an airtight container. Makes enough for 1 large roasting chicken or two small chickens.

NOTE: Smoked paprika adds a nice smokey taste to foods even if the foods not smoked and helps with the salt cravings because IMHO Smoke tastes salty! Just pour it out on a plate or cookie sheet or something and stir it around every now and then for about an hout or two - great stuff!

Hope this helps!

PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif
Happy to see ya here hpe you enjoy. Was glad to see the recipes from deb also as my father-in-law cant have salt either.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky