Hello all

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kallud

Original poster
Jan 20, 2017
Green Bay, wisconsin
Hey everyone it looks like people aren't very active on in this group so here goes my attempt to get it active. I'm new to the forum and to smoking I've been smoking for a few years just not a lot. I'm currently working on a smoker build and would love to get advice and help from anyone willing to give it. After a lot of research I felt an old fridge would be the best way to go about it. I'm not very far into the build pretty much got all plastic out and the compressor and lines out. Im still working on ideas for a smoke generator and what type of heating element to use I want to use electric so I can hook everything up to one system but not sure how to go about it? So if anyone knows a thing or two about hooking up pid control and all of that I would love to get some knowledge. A little about myself i live in Green Bay with my wife and daughter. I'm on the younger side only 30. I'm a disabled veteran I was in the marine corps. huge packer fan so go pack go. Again would love to get to know people on here and get knowledge on smoking and smoker builds.

Kalin

K, welcome to the Forums. Thank you so very much for your service. Also, Go, Pack, Go. Got a couple smokers myself, but not grave enough to build my own. Don't know anything about PIDs or how to hook them up, but I'm sure someone can help with that. Not all that difficult though I'm sure. May seem daunting, but a little research and you will be able to accomplish that.

I use a gas smoker without smoke generator, and an electric with a generator. Both have there place. As for your build, I would suggest the a maz en products. Easy, and inexpensive while giving great long term smoke. With an electric heat source that is the best option.

Good luck with your build.

Mark

I've done some research and pid's look very intimidating lol really I'm trying to do it low budget mostly to prove to my wife I can build it cheaper than buying one similar in size is had a lot of people have told me to get a a maz en and they look great just want to build everything myself since I don't have much going on without the my days need something to keep me busy. I've even thought about completely decommissioning my old smoker for the electrical components to put into my build since I wouldn't use it anymore. As for being brave I don't know if it's bravory just looked fun and I picked up the fridge for $50 so if I mess it up not much money is lost. I'm trying to get the smoker done for the Super Bowl maybe have some people over to watch the packers play. I will try to remember to put pictures up of the finish product for everyone to see.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky