Heath Riles Peach rub - Back ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
I got a bottle of Heath Riles Peach Rub for Xmas from forum member TomKnollRFV TomKnollRFV .

I picked up a new box of ribs and thought this would be a good time to try this rub. As an aside, I was shocked at the price of pork loin ribs. $5.49/lb. ZOUNDS!

I seasoned the ribs with some Lawry's and then a generous coating of the Peach Rub. I put the ribs, loosely covered, in the fridge overnight.

I put another light coating of the Peach Rub on the ribs an hour before they went into the pit.

I used post oak for the flavor wood. Oak is quickly becoming my favorite go to wood. I love the flavor and aroma it gives the food. The smoke also smells great during the cook.

I cooked the ribs in Sarina for 5.5 hours at 250 F naked and sauced them the last hour twice. I then rested the ribs in a hotel pan in a 200 degree oven for 45 minutes with about a cup of water in the bottom of the pan. Waiting for guests to arrive........

The ribs turned out great. The taste of the Peach Rub was fantastic with the pork ribs. I had only one issue with this rub. It didn't seem to be very well mixed.

All the guests were getting hot spots on their ribs where one bite was great and the next was too spicy. This is a very tasty rub and I would use it again but next time I will pour it out of the bottle and re-mix it before use.

JC :emoji_cat:

20210501_061351.jpg

20210501_061409.jpg

Great summary on the rub. Always good to hear feedback and a review in case we're considering trying some. Do you by chance have any pics of the ribs finished? For me, that's always the best part...seeing those babies all cooked up and ready to chow down on. So many different looks on ribs around here depending on rubs, sauces, cooking techniques, etc...

Robert

Reactions: JC in GB
Great summary on the rub. Always good to hear feedback and a review in case we're considering trying some. Do you by chance have any pics of the ribs finished? For me, that's always the best part...seeing those babies all cooked up and ready to chow down on. So many different looks on ribs around here depending on rubs, sauces, cooking techniques, etc...

Robert

I don't have cook pics... I was hungry and tired when they came off and was like screw it.. LOL

I knew I would regret it.

Reactions: jcam222
Sounds like a tasty rub. I also am loving oak wood. I often mix it with cherry or apple but good on its own too. Just scored a cord of white oak being delivered next week

Reactions: JC in GB
as at least koreans apparently discovered long ago, fruit+savory (fruit + gochujang, fermented soy bean paste) can work very well (with just about anything, IMO)

i almost always wrap both pork ribs and butts, and am very partial to using fruit jelly/jam/preserves for most or all of the sugar (WELCH'S, Smuckers flavor does not come through). Jams have a lot of pectin like honey and seem to prevent scorch. I tend to use strawberry, but as a biscuit lover buy fancy preserves and always try to use new ones. they've all been good! apple butter works real well too..
wrapsnacks.jpg

[butt chunk with dirt-cheap Hy-Top strawberry preserves, good local apple butter, Parkay, and I believe a little Gulden's mustard]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky