heat sink

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Pete Vance

Original poster
Dec 12, 2017
For my last smoke I used sand instead of water in the water pan. (WSM 18") I noticed that the butt was a little dryer than usual. It was raining so I didn't wrap the butt.
I have read that a lot of folk use sand instead of water so what went wrong?

In all my years I have never heard of anyone using sand... until now. The vertical style of your smoker is designed to have water in the water pan... why not use it? You can fill it with just about any liquid.. but sand? Really?

Reactions: 3-2-1
kilo charlie kilo charlie P Pete Vance I have the Masterbuilt propane vault and I loaded the stock water pan with sand and covered with HD foil. I also use a 9x13 aluminum pan for a water pan. It has really helped with temp stabilization and temp recovery after opening the door. I got the idea for the sand from reading the masterbuilt thread here on SMF. Not saying i'm right, but it works for me.

I use a combo of lava rock & water in my WSM and Smoke Vault. In my Lang I put a pan of water on the grate next to the firebox. My opinion is you get a better result with a water pan with water in it.
Al

Just don't let any cats get near your kitty box smoker 😭

I've never heard of using sand or any thermal mass in a vertical smoker that replaces the water tray function. why do you need a thermal mass? I've found the few times you open a smoker the better the end product turns out. We don't open a smoker to take a "look", we have temperature probes in the meat to know the state of wellness.

Reactions: CayuseCowgirl
How thick was the fat cap?
What was the final IT? Was the butt probe tender?
Did you wrap the butt in foil and then place into a towel lined cooler for an hour or two?

I run with an empty water pan in my electric smoker unless the humidity level and dew point temp are in the low teens.

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky