Heat from WSM 14.5

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mounkey

Original poster
Apr 13, 2014
Huntsville, AL
Hi all!

Just got my new WSM 14.5 (will start a new thread with pics ) but had a question regarding heat transfer from the legs.

Is it safe to put this on a wooden deck? I wasn't sure how much heat from the grill is transferred through the legs of the smoker.

I would hate to burn my deck down or cause marks etc..

The user guide states just don't put it on carpet etc...

Any tips are appreciated!

thx

mounkey

I never paid much attention to the legs because mine is sitting on a concrete patio.  I can tell you that bottom section gets scorching hot during a smoke. Don't even think about adjusting your bottom vents without gloves, but I've done so a few times and regretted it.  You could pick up four 99 cent 12" pavers from HD to put your WSM on.

I have my 18.5 sitting on a wooden furniture dolly and have not had the legs transfer enough heat to damage the wood.  This will also elevate off the wood deck and make it easy to move around as needed.

Good luck and happy smokin'!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky