Heat Control

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

B P 218

Original poster
Feb 17, 2020
Just finished up my off set smoker, and after two test runs can't get the cooking chamber much over one hundred fifty degrees.
Tried running my numbers thru Feldon"s BBQ Pit Builders calculator but don't understand the numbers in the last two sections .
fire box to cooking chamber, and the air intake numbers.
here are the detention's of my smoker. Cooking Chamber 14.25" X 35" this being a round propane cylinder.
Fire Box 14"x 18" this also being round ( old compressor tank ).
Opening between Fire Box and cooking chamber is a 1/2 circle measures 2.5 x 7.5
smoke stack is 3 3/4" Galv. extending up 22" inches. Thru the top of the smoker.
Air intake is on the front and consists of three one inch holes which can be regulated by a sliding door.
Is anyone out there that has done this a time or two can get me proper measurements of air supply to fire box.
Also could you tell me if the opening between the fire box and heating chamber needs to be enlarged

Thanks, Brian

What happens to the temp if you leave the firebox door open?

It appears that the opening form the fire box to the cook chamber may be on the small side.
I was thinking that and maybe enlargeing my fresh air entry point.

thanks
What happens to the temp if you leave the firebox door open?
I propped the fire box door open with a junk of 1/2" conduit didn't seem to change any thing in the cooking end, fire box seemed to burn hotter. But then the heat was going out the open door

I was thinking that and maybe enlargeing my fresh air entry point.

thanks

I propped the fire box door open with a junk of 1/2" conduit didn't seem to change any thing in the cooking end, fire box seemed to burn hotter. But then the heat was going out the open door

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky