• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Heat chart for my first smoke

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
Very cool I need to start doing something like this, I'm slowly translating it, so if it's not a problem for you

english would be nice, but more interesting to me is how you got the information. Do you have some sort of data recorder or is all the info manually inputted?

Last edited:

czarcastic

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 17, 2011
Really? 

Wow!

I'm impressed.

Don't know that I'd ever want to get into that much detail regarding my cooking -  but I could see where you could definitely benefit from such a detailed analysis if you were having difficulty, or were maybe doing this to provide the USDA (or their French equivalent) the data if you were planning to sell your smoked meat to the public.

You are a better man than I.  I think if I had to do all that I would give up barbecue and take up knitting.

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2009
I appreciate the technology but I like old school myself. Just what I learned from my pops and running a bbq joint.

DanMcG

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
Thanks Cal! and let us know what you find with the thermo test.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Man that's really intense! Not sure I need that much info, the WSM just keeps chugging along without much temp variation.

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
Way too complicated for my simple mind - I just sit back and watch the temps and let her rip

sqwib

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Sep 25, 2007
I think its a good idea to chart your temps to get to know your smoker and how to control it, under varying circumstances.

There's a lot of variables such as

airflow which will change when adding foods,

ambient temperature,

fuel source

intake control

Wind

Heat recovery, etc...

I played with mine a few months, (Reverse Flow Build) and charted every detail to understand my smoker better, now I just let it cruise.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I think its a good idea to chart your temps to get to know your smoker and how to control it, under varying circumstances.

There's a lot of variables such as

airflow which will change when adding foods,

ambient temperature,

fuel source

intake control

Wind

Heat recovery, etc...

I played with mine a few months, (Reverse Flow Build) and charted every detail to understand my smoker better, now I just let it cruise.

I agree SQUIB, experience with your smoker under different conditions gives you the confidence to know what to do & how to control the temps. I keep detailed notes on each smoke, and like you now it just cruise's along.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.