Hazlenut finished brined but uncooked Inside Round - questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Wyeast

Original poster
Apr 11, 2019
Hello,

Silver lining to covid times, holidays at home has had me pursuing and trying some new things in the smoker.
We ordered a 5-6lb ham for Christmas like in the link here (https://tailsandtrotters.com/products/top-round-ham?variant=940524595) however unlike in that link, this is uncooked. It is just a sugar-free brine.
I'm still trying to figure out what cut specifically inside round is--back leg, inside basically?

This should be a delicious ham since the pigs are finished on oregon hazlenuts. I guess harkening towards Iberico ham?

I've read a fair bit on the site about uncooked ham, seems like it needs to hit 160. I am planning on using a-maze-n tray with cherry wood. I am thinking some kind of light sweet rub before it goes in but maybe heavier and with some honey for the last hour?

Any thoughts or kicking the can around advice on this? Thanks in advance!

Sounds interesting be sure to post some Qview for us.
" Top round comes from the inside of the leg and is therefore sometimes called inside round. In its retail form, it usually consists of two muscles, the semimembranosus, and the adductor. "
It's talking about beef but more than likely the same cut but pork here's a link
A Guide to the Beef Round Primal Cut (thespruceeats.com)
As for a rub or something for basting maybe use some combination of
Honey or Molasses
Turbinado sugar also called "sugar in the raw" "Walmart usually carries it right by the brown sugar" or Brown sugar
Maybe some apple juice if you want to thin it a little
You could use that as a rub before starting or use it to baste the ham while smoking or both

Thanks Pineywoods!

I'll definitely take some pictures and will have some fun sharing here.

Anyone else have any recommendations or thoughts on rub/cook time/temp? It's an 8#.. I am thinking since this is a ham the 160~ internal is basically good, I'm not trying to get it to 190-200 so it's fall-apart shredding. I want to slice it like a traditional christmas ham.

Smoke at 220 maybe 6~hr, however long it takes to get up to 160 IT? then let rest for a little? I am thinking going light on the rub until the last hour, possibly even getting honey on it towards that last hour and getting it caramelized at a higher temp in the oven in the last 30 minutes? Any ideas/recs?

thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1222201620.jpg
    1222201620.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 6
I bet that is going to be good . I take my home cured to 150 ish . Some say they like 160 better . I smoke mine at lower temps , then bump it up to finish . Cook temp around 190 then wait for it to finish . Takes longer than 6 hours . Your plan sounds good though .
Don't forget the bearveiw .

I bet that is going to be good . I take my home cured to 150 ish . Some say they like 160 better . I smoke mine at lower temps , then bump it up to finish . Cook temp around 190 then wait for it to finish . Takes longer than 6 hours . Your plan sounds good though .
Don't forget the bearveiw .

Bearview??

Okay, so I'm going to put together something simple mostly sugar focused with small amount of salt and spice as a rub. Should I put it on tonight? any merits to taking it out of package this evening and letting the ham dry a bit with rub on it?

Still plan to baste with maybe a honey-butter type thing for the last hour and bump the heat up--either in smoker or in oven. Probably push it to 160 (or at least 155 IT) to be safe side given it's my first go of doing a ham.

Thanks

quick follow-up, this turned out unreal! Better than any store bought already cooked ham I've had. Now we've got leftovers for the next 8 days :D

while resting IT went a tad higher than ideal but not so high+ham pretty forgiving. not like overcooking scallops or steak.

more details and pics posted this weekend! merry christmas!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky