Hawaiian Hog

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Okay, I can't even pretend to call this Kalua Pork, it's just too far off the traditional recipe.
So going forward I'm just gonna call it Hawaiian Hog.

Kalua Pork
If you go to a luau in Hawaii you're going to see pork one of two ways, whole pig or pig parts wrapped in banana and/or Ti leaves and sometimes burlap and cooked in a covered rock lined pit with hardwood coals,
Kiawe is the commonly used wood, us mainland haoles know it as Mesquite.

Traditionally it is simply seasoned with Alaea salt, wrapped in banana leaves and cooked in an earthen pit.
The pit may or may not be lined with rock, it is airtight or almost so and thus the smoke flavor is infused into the meat and it is pretty strong.

Digging a pit in the Wife's backyard poses a problem, so that leaves the oven, slow cooker or smoker.
In researching recipes I found many ways to marinate and spice it from half a dozen sources, including some folks I know who live in a Hawaii.
The most agreed upon traditional recipes all call for three primary ingredients, Alaea salt, liquid smoke and banana leaves.
Everything else is individual preference, marinating or not, fruit or veggies and other spices.

This is my second go at this recipe, first time I thought it lacked enough pineapple and ginger so this time added more.
I had two 4lb bone-in butts that I made a marinade for,
Marinade
5c Orange juice
2 20oz cans diced pineapple in pineapple juice
1c minced ginger
2T minced garlic
1/2c Soy sauce
1/2c Ponzu sauce
1/8c Fish sauce
1/8c liquid smoke
4T Alaea salt, Hawaiian red clay salt

Marinated overnight, remove from the marinade and lightly salted the pork.
Strain the fruit and veggies from the marinade and include them with the pork.
Then either wrap in multiple layers of banana leaves and truss, or line a slow cooker or dutch oven with layered banana leaves, wrap and cover.
Fire up the smoke with a 60/40 mix of mesquite and hickory.
This is one time where I want a heavier smoke, not thin blue smoke.
Because the meat is well protected by the leaves it can take the heavy smoke, it really needs it and the liquid smoke to get that intensely smokey flavor.

Example of wrapped and trussed.

qp3otHJ.jpg

In a dutch oven.

faAssR7.jpg

Here are pics from today's cook.

Marinade
dJzZPJg.jpg

Lining the Dutch Oven
7hlwi4u.jpg

Ready to Wrap
ooSzsKI.jpg

Done Cooking
p8WVEYK.jpg

AEiqvSP.jpg

Super Tender Hawaiian Hog

Dinner is Served

G0PP9O8.jpg

Attachments

• MTSkMVY.jpg
    MTSkMVY.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
That looks horrible, you should chuck it into a cooler with my address written on it.:emoji_laughing::emoji_call_me::emoji_thumbsup:

That looks horrible, you should chuck it into a cooler with my address written on it

Sorry Dan. He sent me a text last bight with the pics and I told him the same thing. It's all packed up and headed my way. If you'd like to drop by though I'll share some with you :emoji_laughing:

Seriously John, another beautiful piece of work. Gorgeous food, beautiful ,a masterful presentation and nicely detailed write up. Kudos on another fine meal my friend!!

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
I don't know how guys make their food look so pretty, that is one dept. that I am lacking in BIG time.
Maybe because fancy looking food such as French food never really appealed to me, that's my story/excuse and I'm sticking to it. I refuse to stage my food for photo shoots, which is why my pictures rarely make the top of the forum and Chili's do. I call my plating skills "rustic".:emoji_joy::emoji_thumbsup:

Another one out of the park John!

Looks fantastic.

Did a Luau when we went to Kuai for my 50th birthday, it was really cool watching them take that pig out of the ground....

LIKE!

John
I've spent a lot of time on the islands and I always make sure I go to at least 1 or 2 luau's. I love watching those hogs fall apart on the table, talk about fork tender. And the little hula dancers are pretty impressive as well. LOL!!!

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky