Hawaiian Hamburger Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I don’t make a lot of ground meat jerky. It isn’t that it doesn’t taste great but it just doesn’t have the great chew of jerky from sliced meat. It is just softer and less chewy.

However, I was asked how to make ground beef jerky and I haven’t made any for some time. So, here is how I make it.

I start with 1 kg of extra lean ground beef. The less fat the better. You can grind your own beef but use a very lean cut.

I added the following to the beef:

• 90 ml (1/3 cup + 1 tbsp) Soy Sauce
  • 50 ml (1/4 cup) Pineapple Juice
  • 40 ml (3 tbsp) Sherry
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) Sesame Oil
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) Sriracha Sauce
  • 35 ml (2 tbsp + 2 tsp) Brown Sugar
  • 10 ml (2 tsp) Ground Ginger
  • 8 ml (1 ½ tsp) Garlic Powder
  • 5 ml (1 tsp) Onion Powder
  • 4 ml (3/4 tsp) Black Pepper
  • 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp/2.6 gr) Prague Powder #1
Hawaiian Hamburger Jerky 01.jpg

For those of you who haven’t used the curing salt Prague Powder #1 before, it is also known as Pinks Salt #1, Instacure #1, and a host of other commercial names. Read the label on your curing salt and make sure that it 93.75 % salt and 6.25 % sodium nitrite. If those are the content, you can use the curing salt in this recipe.

A word of warning, too much sodium nitrite is bad for you. Make sure you use the exact amount the recipe calls for and don’t use Prague Powder in place of salt, only use it for meat curing.

Mix the beef thoroughly for at least five minutes. It should be tacky and sticky.

Put 1/2 the meat between two pieces of wax paper and gently roll to 1/4 inch thick.

Hawaiian Hamburger Jerky 02.jpg

Remove the top sheet and cut the beef into strips. Cut the strips to the length you like and put it on the smoking tray. Repeat with the second 1/2 of the meat.

Hawaiian Hamburger Jerky 03.jpg

I preheated my Bradley smoker to 200 F. I like to go for 20 minutes without smoke but you can start smoking right away but it will be a much stronger smoke hit.

Start checking at 1 1/2 hours. However, I find it usually takes 2 hours to cook. Test by bending a piece. There should be some splintering at the surface.

Put the jerky on a paper towel lined plate and blot with a second paper towel to remove as much fat as possible.

Hawaiian Hamburger Jerky 04.jpg

Let cool before serving.

Hawaiian Hamburger Jerky 06.jpg

The Verdict

This is a very tasty jerky. It is not spicy but has a nice sweet/salty taste with a pineapple/soy taste that I really like.

It has a decent chew but if you are looking for a nice piece of jerky that requires some chewing to eat. This isn’t it.

The Old Fat Guy

Looks tasty. The recipe sounds really good. I used one simular for thin strips of Flank Steak on a Stick...JJ

Most excellent looking jerky Disco. One day in the not so distant future I'll have to try my hand at making some.

Point for sure
Chris

Wow that looks good! Great write up on this. My kids would love this type of jerky! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, so much!

Looks really good! Great write up as usual Disco.

You are most kind!

Great write up Disco. Miss Linda doesn't like the chewy jerky, so when I'm in a jerky mood I always make some out of ground beef too, just for her.
Gary

Har! The things we do to keep our masters happy! Thanks, Gary.

Looks great and the ingredient list is very appealing too. I see it in my future especially since I haven't made any in like forever! Like!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky