Having issues with higher temps...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Craig Ward

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 21, 2019
I've been having issues controlling my temperatures lately, its getting a little colder outside with the fall weather. My current set up's have 8 1/2" exhaust holes in the lids and 3 3/4" ball valve intakes (They are reduced port so more like 1/2"), two of the intakes have 90's and a 24" pipe and ones just straight out. Could my issues be not enough air intake? My temperatures with everything wide open barely make 250. I've read a few places that 1/2" intakes is fine. Could it be something else? My charcoal basket is 17" wide by 12" high, I usually run it about half full (Full bag). Center of intakes to grate level is 24" (I know it should be 26" but I didn't have the vertical height). Everything is sealed off nicely.... not sure what else I could tell you....
Screen Shot 2019-09-21 at 10.01.55 AM.png

3x 3/4 should be enough air intake. I'd suggest extending your exhaust to increase draft, but not sure how to advise you how to do that with drilled holes

The valves are 3/4 but not full port, so more like half... I ordered 3 full ports to replace. I'll try drilling the exhausts out as well

Do you guys think charcoal basket design plays a role at all? The one I'm currently using is short and wide. I also have a tall and skinny one that seems to burn nicely but creates a huge hot spot in the center

I use a couple of those aluminum disposable Pan's you can buy at the grocery store. I cut the corner so that I can lay it out flat and drill a couple three holes in the middle of it. That way when it gets too nasty I can just toss it make another one.

Reactions: daveomak
I've got that exact diffuser plate that was posted but never use it because it kills my temps. I tried on the weekend and with the plate off I was getting around 270 and with it on around 200 with all vents open

Craig, add a 1'' nipple right at you fire basket height, you don't need a valve on it. Just make sure you have a IPS cap to close it off if it starts running too hot. I have 3 3/4'' air vents with full bore valves and a 1'' nipple at the fire box that just has a cap. If I leave them all wide open it would get way to hot for smoking but I like the option of having it there in case I want to run a brisket or butt at 275 to 325*.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky