Having Fun with the new Firepit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
My old pit finally gave out. It had a lot of ricks burned through it. This is a foot smaller but it has a grill grate and for $80 said what the heck. Glad I did as everything worked out good. Plenty of room for good fire. The grill grate worked great. Was almost afraid to cook these Fire Cracker sausages as been in freezer long time but they where really good.

20220103_170744.jpg 20220103_171852.jpg

Made some peach hobo pie's. These are better than regular pie's. I have great memories using these as a kid with family and friends. I think the best one ever made was with Sloppy Joe left overs but work great to make pizza's. The round ones I use for pie as it seals really good and the square one for sandwiches. That grate worked great just laying them on it instead of laying on top coals.

20220103_175114.jpg 20220103_181817.jpg 20220103_180031.jpg 20220103_180116.jpg

Got plenty of wood delivered.

20211223_102013.jpg

I got one of those Block Rocker's from Sams many years ago and still works really good. Great sound and holds charge for months. Goes about 60 hours on a charge.

Nice - I love the hobo pies. I used to make them a lot as a kid with cast iron pie irons in a campfire. My wife's parents have a cottage in Michigan that we go to every summer, with camp fires often enough. My wife and her family had never heard of the cast iron pie irons until I bought some last year. Pizzas for dinner and cherry pies for dessert -- kids loved them.

Nice - I love the hobo pies. I used to make them a lot as a kid with cast iron pie irons in a campfire. My wife's parents have a cottage in Michigan that we go to every summer, with camp fires often enough. My wife and her family had never heard of the cast iron pie irons until I bought some last year. Pizzas for dinner and cherry pies for dessert -- kids loved them.
Michigan where I grew up. Many camp outs with these. They where usually pizza's. I was wanting cherry but did not have any but the peach just might have been better.

Reactions: mcokevin
Nice little pit ya have Brian! Man I haven't made those for years! Of course if I tried now I'd probably try to figure out how to make a hot beef sandwich and top with gravy when done!

Ryan

If search for 30 Inch Fire Pits for Outside with Grill Outdoor Wood Burning Firepit will see several with differ names but all look a like. Walmart has for $88 right now.

Nice fire pit Brian!
I bet a nice thick ribeye would sure taste good over an open fire!
As a matter of fact it does, I do it all the time!
Al

I miss my Weber firepit. Got close to 15 years out of it. I almost cried when I found out Weber discontinued it,I've never been able to find one that compares.

Nice little pit ya have Brian! Man I haven't made those for years! Of course if I tried now I'd probably try to figure out how to make a hot beef sandwich and top with gravy when done!

Ryan
Sounds like been to long.

Nice fire pit Brian , and sausages, but I would shove down a couple Peach pies

David
Thanks. They good for sure.

That looks like a great time! Open flame and food!
Thanks it was fun

Nice fire pit Brian!
Al
That sounds great. I will be putting that on the menu soon!

I miss my Weber firepit. Got close to 15 years out of it. I almost cried when I found out Weber discontinued it,I've never been able to find one that compares.
My last one was $99 dollar one and had it over 10 years. I thought about finding some kind of plate to put in this but for the price guess just use it.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Sweet fire pit for sure! I think me and my friends made about every combination of hobo pipe you could think of.....right down to hot PB&J, spam and eggs, apple, cherry, peach, brown sugar and butter, bananas, ham & cheese, steak eggs & cheese, hot dogs and cheese....oh and just plain spam no bread.........we called it a spam samich.....lol

Nice fire pit Brian!
Al
I think going to fire up the pit tomorrow. You think a 2" thick ribeye would cook OK over open fire? Was planning smoker to 125 but this would be funner.

There really is nothing like an open fire. I love my firepit. I still need to cook some tomahawks on it. I love sitting around the fire with some beers. Good times!

Excellent Brian, both the food and the fact that you're liking the new pit. Always great to hear that somebody is enjoying the fruits of their labor, and you sure seem to be making the best of your retirement :emoji_wink: So when are we gonna see some fish posts???

Robert

Excellent Brian, both the food and the fact that you're liking the new pit. Always great to hear that somebody is enjoying the fruits of their labor, and you sure seem to be making the best of your retirement :emoji_wink: So when are we gonna see some fish posts???

Robert
Now if I could only find a women to share it with :emoji_wink: Made mistake of taking boat out today. Was show 10 mph winds but was more like 25 from north! Man that was miserable.

My old pit finally gave out. It had a lot of ricks burned through it.

View attachment 520984

I got one of those Block Rocker's from Sams many years ago and still works really good. Great sound and holds charge for months. Goes about 60 hours on a charge.
Just hope there is a space between the wood and your house. If the wood is there for any length of time and leaning against the house, the siding will deteriorate.

Reactions: bbqjefff
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky