Having a party on 4/30 to celebrate my B-Day and could use some advice on food planning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What should I make on the WSM? You can pick more then one.

• Pork Shoulder

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brisket

• Ribs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

big twig

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Emerald Isle, NC
Easter falls on my B-Day this Year (4/24) so I am having a party the next weekend due to  everyone having family obligations, etc. I have a 22 WSM, 22 Kettle, and a Camp Chef Explorer to cook most of the things on. I am having anywhere from 40-50+ people so I figured to fill them up I will make 5-10 Gallons of chili & burgers and dogs on the grill. Now here comes my dilemma, What can I fit in the 22 WSM? I know I want to make ABT's because people love them and maybe a fatty or 2. I figure I can do them in rounds and keep them warm in the oven. I am guessing pulled pork since I can get a good yield for space. Any pictures of large smokes and any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Pinwheeled ribs to get more on.....pic from 'the dude abides' post a while back....cool idea I thought

ry%3D400

For that many people I would stick with PP. Ribs would get expensive. A couple of butts would go a long way. Put the butts on the bottom & fatties & abt's on the top.

Thanks guys, the more I think about it, makes me lean towards just sticking with the butts. Ribs do get pricy and butts stay around the same price where I live. rp RibKing had a great idea of laying the butts on the side to fit more room on the bottom rack. Then I can just rotate fatty's and ABT's on the top and keep them warm in the oven. Good thing I am going to make a lot of chili, burgers and dogs to keep the crowd feed. Funny how I always have a party where I cook for everyone. I guess that's how it goes when you like your own food the best and love to cook.

Personally I'd smoke the butts ahead of time and just reheat them they are as good or better reheated. That would also allow all the equipment to be used for ABT's and fatties the day of the party

Personally I'd smoke the butts ahead of time and just reheat them they are as good or better reheated. That would also allow all the equipment to be used for ABT's and fatties the day of the party
That's not a bad idea, What would be the best way to handle that if I smoke the butts the day before? Pull then bag and reheat in the oven the next day?

That's not a bad idea, What would be the best way to handle that if I smoke the butts the day before? Pull then bag and reheat in the oven the next day?
Twig, I'd pull and try to save some liquids from the pork, or spritz some apple juice while reheating for moisture. If you have a roaster you could reheat that way or a crock pot. Try some pulled pork in your chili too!!!

Pull it, and put it in the fridge overnight. Day of heat it with Soflaquer's finishing sauce. Serve it as sammy's with some slaw on top.

I'm with Jerry on this. Cook the butts a day or two ahead. Save all the juice/fat form the pork , add some apple juice and SLOWLY reheat it in the oven wrapped tight in tin foil. It will be great. Just stir it up in the leftover fat and juice as you bring it back up to eating temp. They won't notice the difference. I do this all the time for fundraisers.

I use the disposable aluminum foil pans and put the meat then add in as has been suggested either de-fatted juice or finishing sauce, or a little apple juice then put foil over the top tight and into the oven at 225-250 until its reheated

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky