hate to sound negative but..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I sometimes turn the ads on but that doesn't usually last for long and now with the yellow wrap around skin you can bet that they will be turned off even more
biggrin.gif

I used to say that supporting the site with a Premier Membership was a good thing and now I say that a Premier Membership is worth it just to be able to turn the ads off
beercheer.gif

This new format is total BS from my point of view - If this lasts you may have just run me off

So it is 2 hours later and the side panels are gone. WTF - What is going on

Last edited:
OK so what is going on with this fomat? Sometimes the nasty side panels are on they they are off - What is the forum supposed to look like in this new format?

C'mon.. it's orange juice. Don't get too worked up over it. As I've said, it's not my favorite color either but then I'm not here for the colors or the advertising. I'm here because of the content and what can be taught and learned. I can deal with all the rest. I hope some of you feel the same way.

If Tropicana wants to pay us to run a 1 day site skin then why not?

By the way.. I think it's a short term thing anyway and not worth fretting over. Maybe the next one will be a color that all of us like a little better.

Jeff

Everytime I clicked anywhere to open a thread a new window was opening with a Tropicana ad. That was the frustrating part. The yellow sides were hard on these old eyes but the pop ups we killing me

Thank god that crappie orange juice ad dissaphuckinpeared!

Now to catch up on what went on while Tropicana was screwing the site up.

I sometimes turn the ads on but that doesn't usually last for long and now with the yellow wrap around skin you can bet that they will be turned off even more
biggrin.gif

I used to say that supporting the site with a Premier Membership was a good thing and now I say that a Premier Membership is worth it just to be able to turn the ads off
beercheer.gif

I just waited til someone realized they were crap and then come in to look.  While I like the website and enjoy the people I question what the hell is going on behind the curtain?  Here it answer questions and read....... if the ads stay intrusive it will run more people off.

Jeff

Everytime I clicked anywhere to open a thread a new window was opening with a Tropicana ad. That was the frustrating part. The yellow sides were hard on these old eyes but the pop ups we killing me

Then suck it up and install Firefox. You'll love it. Don't forget the ABP add on. I never see an ad on here.

Completely agree with the previous post.  Jeff, you must have a thick hide and obviously a different perspective on the situation, BUT, the truth is that in the brief time period I've been on the site, I've seen a lot of members drift away and many of them were the OTSB cadre.  A lot is because of the frustrations many have with the site now under Huddler control.  Your otherwise fine site is being hampered with these problems.  A specific example:  look at the problems Eric (forluvofsmoke) had in posting his latest epic smoke.  He couldn't preview and experienced a lockup and loss of ready to post material, photos etc.  As you well know, his posts are rather lengthy and a loss of that much data can be very frustrating.  It's coming to be a case of it works then it doesn't work.  Shoot yesterday, I was posting a reply to a newbie, made the post, then noticed an error, went in to edit and got locked up in the edit screen, not able to make the correction then kicked out of the edit function.  Tried a second time and it kicked me back to the main page.  Minor frustrations in the big picture?  Yes, but.....frequent problems, no matter what the user's operating system (blaming it on incompatitibilty with, oh, I don't know Firefox today, windows, IE8 and then IE9 gets kinda thin in the long run.) We know it's not your fault personally but this Huddler machine is not up to site standards.  Massaging here and there to make it work is a strong indicator of a product not truly ready for use in the internet environment.  If you can leave this site experiencing problems, transition to another internet site and not experience similar problems, it kinda points to the site program as a problem source, not the individual.

Jeff: I have a few websites myself and know about the cost that comes with it. That being said I am sure most of the members would be more than happy to help with some support so they dont have to see the ads. I became a paid member and I just went in and turned off the adds so I dont see them. Just my 2 cent worth. I also love your site and have no problum with the support I can give.
help.gif

Why should I have to install Firefox to be on this site?  A close friend who runs Firefox all the time has to use IE to view and post on this site.  The problem isn't our operating systems and the interface, but the master server with it's inadequate program to support all interface programs.

Then suck it up and install Firefox. You'll love it. Don't forget the ABP add on. I never see an ad on here.

Why should I have to install Firefox to be on this site?  A close friend who runs Firefox all the time has to use IE to view and post on this site.  The problem isn't our operating systems and the interface, but the master server with it's inadequate program to support all interface programs.

Not sure what his problem is. I run FF and have no real issue on this site . The problems I had (very slow loading of icons, pics, etc) were due to living out in the country and having Dial-up. Since about two weeks ago, I went to a Satellite service and have seen no real issues at all and NO ads.

Why can't everybody just take a chill pill with slamming the site?   It appears to me Jeff and the moderators have responded to every problem or criticism with class and respect.  This forum is obviously a work in progress but all I have seen is constant improvement.  I have yet to find a site that is as well moderated, as non-political or as dedicated to the subject as this one.

May I suggest that if there is an ongoing issue please contact the site administrators directly.  Maybe a "site contact" mailbox that is closely monitored by staff would be helpful.   Once the issue is addressed administration could post the problem with the fix or work around. 

I got tired of the ads so I ponied up 25 bucks to use the site for the next two years and not have to look at them.  My wife and I ate Chinese last night it cost us 30 bucks.  I guarantee you that I enjoy the site a lot more then I did that damn Chinese food.

People come and go all the time, there are other options out there.  We all have personality conflicts with other members, we all develop little cliques that we  like to hang around with.  I would be very surprised that site issues are the only reason long time members have decided not to continue their participation.

I'm not trying to make enemies with this post, just get everyone to take a deep breath and not be so critical.

I have FF and never had one iota of trouble posting or viewing on this site. Just about every site out there that's halfway decent is going to have ads. It costs money to run a quality site and SMF is no exception. If my wife didn't buy a new car and my kid didn't need braces I would have sent my 25 bucks already. But since I have no trouble using this site I'll use that 25 bucks for a brisket instead. Eventually I'll go premium but right now it's not a priority since the site works well for me. I can't bitch about that.

I do have thick skin.. I think it's required for being a forum owner of this size
biggrin.gif

I can certainly appreciate that problems are frustrating but then all sites have problems now and then.. the true measure is if the site is working to fix the problems or if the problems are being ignored. I can assure all of you with the greatest of assurances that we are on top of any and all problems.

Thank all of you for the kind words and support!

Yeah.. yellow is NOT my color at all but I guess I can't complain too much since they are paying for it. :My wife loves yellow so you can imagine what I have to deal with at home
biggrin.gif
Ads don't bother me---The color doesn't bother me.

The only thing that bothers me about ads is the one that jumps out of my Reply box, and causes the whole SMF forum to go dark, except the Tropicana ad.

Then I have to leave SMF & come back to get rid of their computer possessing antics.

Seems to me they are overstepping a bit with that kind of taking over the whole world to sell their product!

I'm not complaining about the site moderators, or Jeff, because Piney notified Huddler & I assume they are working on it. My complaint is with Tropicana for using high pressure practices to sell their orange juice, in the first place. I don't think they need to take over anyone's computer.

Bear

None of it bothers me .....some people just get their Pa----s in a wad over nothing...If it weren`t for the add there would not be any site.....Chill out....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky