Hash brown time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
Good day all. Well, after doing a bit more research on my quest for the perfect hash browns, I came up with the following plan.

I am going to do the par boil method again with the following additions.

Use 3 russet potatoes and bring the center up to 55C (131F), 60C (140F), and 70C (158F) respectively. Use a natural convection cool afterward. Potato starch gelatinizes at 55C (131F) and completes gelatinization at 70C (158F). I am hoping to figure out the optimum starch gelatinization level for perfect hash browns.

Once cooked and naturally cooled, into the fridge for a chill and then peel and grate in the morning. I am looking for the shredded spuds to be firm but not fall apart on the griddle or turn out gummy.

Will post an update with photos Monday after I have concluded my experiments.

JC :emoji_cat:

In for the ride. Funny you got into the starch conversion temps. Was going to do that in the last hash brown thread. I know lots as it is the same for malted barley for beer. At lower temps the conversion takes longer but produces more sugar at the high end the opposite but builds body. Got me thinking what would be better for hash browns, honestly don't know.

Reactions: JC in GB
Sounds like you been researching it. I still really like dehydrated. Always come out crispy like I like them. If you come up with something I might have to give it a try.

I have heard that the dehydrated work quite well. I am going to be trying those sometime as well. Thanks for the reply...

JC :emoji_cat:

Well a good trick to get the best hash browns it to use your left over baked taters. Just a restaurant trick.

But if you really want to boil your taters salt the water really good (2%+) cool quickly. Then grate and spread out on a sheet pan with a towel. Dry them out using another towel on top. Changing towels as needed. Then toss in a mixture of baking powder and corn starch. Not needed if you get the water out of the potatoes

See the theme here? Moisture is the issue. You need them dry. Best way to get crisp, not burnt hash browns.

I gave up on Hash Browns a long time ago. How in the world Waffle House nails those things is beyond me. I'm more than curious how yours turn out!

Reactions: JC in GB
What happens when potato starch gelatanizes?
I am hoping that is where they stop turning brown when exposed to air.

I am also hoping that getting the right temp will give me the right texture.

If not, I will experiment with moisture levels as dirtsailor2003 dirtsailor2003 suggested.

I think the waffle house browns have a but of both. I'm fixing to find out.

JC
:emoji_cat:

Reactions: zwiller
I prefer potato pancakes (latkes) over hash browns. Ate them since I was a kid. Easy recipe.
shredded potato, Salt, pepper, chopped onion, egg and some flour. Cant beat them. Bogangles bo rounds are close to this recipe. If I remeber correctly my family recipe had a little baking soda or baking powder in it. Cant remeber which one.
Looking forward to what you come up with.......

I am hoping that is where they stop turning brown when exposed to air.
I think you are correct. That said, starch conversion is not immediate. For brewing we hold temps for 30m or longer to convert as much as we can. Gonna throw some other thoughts out there. I think potato type is important as well as size of the grate. You want the big russets for sure not the cheap white or waxy types. The good looking hash browns pics I seen have a pretty large grate size and larger than graters or FP discs I have. The pics of waffle house home fries approach the size what would call french fry strings.

o.jpg

I prefer potato pancakes (latkes) over hash browns.
Same here and actually plan to apply these techniques for making them. When I make them they are soggy and oily.

Reactions: JC in GB and boykjo
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky