Harvesting my own wood for smoker use questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flyinlizard

Fire Starter
Original poster
  I have available to me storm damaged cherry, hickory, apple trees and maple, can we use maple?  I can get planer shavings to whatever size chunks I want to cut.  Can the wood be used green or should it be seasoned first? 

Yes, definately. A great wood for extending cooks ,eisier to get. The rest are great also... scarf-up all you can get and cure covered with a tarp  for a tear. Keep it off the ground and tuck the ends of the Tarp so rain can't get to it (and critters too.).

If you have too much, Letme know and I'll come get it off your hands. I pay in Beer...LOL

I was wondering about this myself. I have apple and cherry tree branches that were trimmed this spring. I think I'll remove the bark and cut them into chunks for smoking.

I was wondering about this myself. I have apple and cherry tree branches that were trimmed this spring. I think I'll remove the bark and cut them into chunks for smoking.
Let them season with the bark on and you may find it will come right off when you cut them up. At the least it should be easier to remove after seasoning

Let them season with the bark on and you may find it will come right off when you cut them up. At the least it should be easier to remove after seasoning
Thanks for the suggestion. They were trimmed about one month ago, any idea on how long I should let them season? (the branches I saved are 1 - 3" thick)

Last edited:
If they produce too much White or dark smoke, switch game plans and pre-burn the wood to caols(embers) and add to the FB. You'll get a nicely maintained 225*F easy. Just sayin'. . .

If the bark is removed it also cuts down on the white smoke as does seasoning.   Once the chunks or splits are dry, the bark will often pop right off with a little persuasion from a large flat blade screwdriver.  Once you get a corner lifted, it usually pops the whole thing off.

Cut & split chunks will dry/season faster than fireplace length logs.   I usually cut hickory or apple into manageable log length, split it into about 2.5" triangles and then cut the lengths into 2.5" long chunks and toss them in a old milk crate to dry/season. Plenty of air movement there.  If you can, cut up at least twice what you think you will need in a year and give it a few months to season before you start using it.  Then re-stock what you have used every 6 months or so and you will never run out of seasoned & ready to go wood.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky