"hammy" ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rippper

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
merto detroit, michigan
love my camp chef xxl vertical pellet smoker for sausage, brisket and pork butts, but no matter what i do the ribs come out "hammy" tasting. family still eats them, actually like them, but that ain't how good ribs are supposed to taste. I've tried cooking the slow, fast tried salt free rubs, no rubs. anyone else have the same issues with pellet smokers/grills.

Reactions: JLeonard
The only way I get hammy tasting ribs is if I use cure in the rub & let them sit overnight. But I do that on purpose. It will be interesting to see what others have to say!
Al

I don’t know where you buy your ribs but make sure they are solution free and a natural product. Smithfield brand is one that comes to mind that is advertized as “extra meaty“ and “tender” these are solutioned ribs that to me taste “hammy” no matter how I cook them. I watch the packaging and only by all natural pork with no added ingredients or preservatives. Have you cooked these kind of ribs?

Look for a local butcher if possible. If not, check out the larger chain grocers, they usually have packaging that will provide a clue. As said, all natural and minimally processed labels are good indicators.

Last edited:
love my camp chef xxl vertical pellet smoker for sausage, brisket and pork butts, but no matter what i do the ribs come out "hammy" tasting. family still eats them, actually like them, but that ain't how good ribs are supposed to taste. I've tried cooking the slow, fast tried salt free rubs, no rubs. anyone else have the same issues with pellet smokers/grills.
Oh I may have the answer.
Are you using nothing but 100% Hickory pellets?

Try a pellet that has no Hickory in it.
I don't like using more than 65% hickory or so because it makes everything taste like bacon to me. I'm wondering if this is what you are tasting.

If this works then you can switch your wood or reduce your pellets to under 50% Hickory and keep walking the hickory amount down if you like to have the flavor but not so much of it.

The only time I go over 65% hickory is when I make 100% hickory bacon. Though I found I prefer 70% Apple, 30% Hickory.

I hope this helps :)

Reactions: zwiller
Oh I may have the answer.
Are you using nothing but 100% Hickory pellets?

Try a pellet that has no Hickory in it.
I don't like using more than 65% hickory or so because it makes everything taste like bacon to me. I'm wondering if this is what you are tasting.

If this works then you can switch your wood or reduce your pellets to under 50% Hickory and keep walking the hickory amount down if you like to have the flavor but not so much of it.

The only time I go over 65% hickory is when I make 100% hickory bacon. Though I found I prefer 70% Apple, 30% Hickory.

I hope this helps :)
i have been using the pit boss competition blend. not sure of the % of hickery

i have been using the pit boss competition blend. not sure of the % of hickery
I can't remember the amount of Hickory they put in it but I feel like it is the lowest amount of the 3 woods used (Maple, Cherry, and Hickory).

I wonder if you can try some other Pitboss that has no Hickory if that will help. PB Comp Blend is not very strong in general though so this line of thought would mean you are kinda sensitve to stating hickory flavor. People can be.
I mean I can taste the difference of Hickory at various levels :)

Its a simple thing to test as you buy some more pellets.

Reactions: rippper
Smithfield ribs contain a solution that causes the ribs to taste hammy. I like it, so I buy Smithfield. Their pork shoulders (butts) are the same.

There are stores in my area that sell "all natural" ribs and shoulders by Farmer John, another corporate giant. My wife, a super-taster, says they are flavorless. They require more work to prep to get flavor into the muscle, so I stick with Smithfield.

Smithfield ribs contain a solution that causes the ribs to taste hammy. I like it, so I buy Smithfield. Their pork shoulders (butts) are the same.

There are stores in my area that sell "all natural" ribs and shoulders by Farmer John, another corporate giant. My wife, a super-taster, says they are flavorless. They require more work to prep to get flavor into the muscle, so I stick with Smithfield.
Interesting,,,,
our Smithfield ribs are all solutioned, but they have a “natural” baby back. Then all the butts and picnics are solution free.

Reactions: noboundaries
Also interesting. I've never seen a natural Smithfield product where I shop. Didn't even know they did that. Good on them.
It may still have added solution, just 'natural' ingredient based. Celery extract is often used in 'natural' labeled meats. The term is essentially undefined by the USDA and FDA. At best you can interpret it to mean no synthetic ingredients.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky