Ham Twins (Double Smoked)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
I've been paying a small fortune for Double Smoked Hams for the last 20 years, so I finally decided to save a few bucks, and see how it goes. I think last year's was about 17 pounds for about $55 !!!
Giant had Fully cooked & smoked Shank End Hams for 79¢ per pound, so I got two of them, about 11 pounds each.
I cut the little bit of skin off the top, and some of the fat (should have cut more fat off).
I set my MES 40 to 200˚, and put both of the Hams in it's own foil pan, supported on their own little wire drying rack.
Then I filled my AMNS with Hickory dust, and we're off to the slow motion races.
Meanwhile I mixed up two different glazes for a test:

Glaze #1
1/2 C of Brown Sugar
1/3 C of Maple Syrup
1/2 tsp of ground mustard
1/8 tsp of ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp of ground ginger
1/8 tsp of ground cloves
Dash of ground nutmeg

Glaze #2

1/2 C of Honey
1/4 C of Balsamic Vinegar
1 tsp of cider vinegar
1 tsp of Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 tsp of garlic powder
1/4 tsp of ground ginger
1/4 tsp of allspice

After 7 hours, the internal temps were identical at 122˚.
I poured half of Glaze #1 on Ham # 1, and half of Glaze #2 on Ham #2 at 4:30 PM, and changed my heat from 200˚ to 270˚.
At 5 PM I did the same thing with the other half of the Glaze.
At 5:20 PM I pulled the Hams at 135˚ internal temp (label said you could eat it cold, or heat to 130˚).
Let Ham rest and take pictures.

BTW: Everyone agrees---Glaze #1 is the best of the two.

Bear

Twin Hams, smoked & fully cooked:
DSC02059-1.jpg

Nearly 22 pounds of Ham for $17:
DSC02060-1.jpg

Bear's Eye View through my MES 40 Door:
DSC02080-1.jpg

View with door open:
DSC02082-1.jpg

35 MPH winds being blocked:
DSC02083-1.jpg

Eat your heart out Dolly!
DSC02085-1.jpg

Just a bit of each sliced for Me & the Mrs:
DSC02088-1.jpg

My plate-----Made two trips, so I had room for veggies on my plate:
DSC02092-1.jpg

Closer Look:
DSC02095-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Looks fabulous!!!

You need to get some of them nets for hanging them next time.

Craig

Looks fabulous!!!

You need to get some of them nets for hanging them next time.

Craig
Thanks Craig!

Didn't want to hang them. They were very fatty, and I didn't want a lot of fat dripping on my AMNS & everything else near my heating area.

On the wire drying racks, in the pans, they stayed out of the drippings, got plenty of smoke, and all the fat stayed in the pans. 

Bear

Reactions: old bones
Some mighty fine looking hammies there Bear....nice matched set. Safeway selling them here for 99 a pound but I didn't want to fight the dozen old gals diggin' in the bins for one....like a pack of feeding sharks pushin and shovin. Price may drop some Sunday...I'm busy with a pork roast anyway. Sweet color on that glaze and slices of ham...actually glistening in the pic. Liked that cardboard & yellow tape mod....

Some mighty fine looking hammies there Bear....nice matched set. Safeway selling them here for 99 a pound but I didn't want to fight the dozen old gals diggin' in the bins for one....like a pack of feeding sharks pushin and shovin. Price may drop some Sunday...I'm busy with a pork roast anyway. Sweet color on that glaze and slices of ham...actually glistening in the pic. Liked that cardboard & yellow tape mod....
Thanks Willie---I was the only one at the Ham bin!

Hmmm, next time don't take a shower before you go!

Bear

Looking good.
Thanks Joe

That looks good Bear, Safeway has them on sale @ .99 a lbs thinking of picking one or two up
Thanks RdKnB,

They had the Butt end Hams for 99¢, and the Shank ends for 79¢.

Bear

Another great looking smoke Bear...is there a real taste difference by double smoking a ham? Like you i'm a smoke hound..did you light both ends of the Amazen? The finished plate looks Fantastic Bear!!!
drool.gif

Another great looking smoke Bear...is there a real taste difference by double smoking a ham? Like you i'm a smoke hound..did you light both ends of the Amazen? The finished plate looks Fantastic Bear!!!
drool.gif
Thank You!

Absolutely a big difference with a double smoked Ham!

If it wasn't I would have been an idiot for paying extra for the last 20 or so years.

My Mama didn't raise no idiot!

I used a couple of experimental AMNS, but to get the amount of smoke I used, with a 6" X 6" or a 6" X 8", you would light both ends.

Bear

Awesome Bear,
drool.gif

I'll take one of them off your hands....

MAN that looks sooooo good! I can't wait till easter when i will finally get to eat a little ham....and a do mean a little so i don't feel like i cheated too much!!!

I did save the recipes though for another day so....thanks!!!

Thanks for the recipe bear.... Nice looking hams,,,,,,,,,,,

Thanks Meat, Paul, Les, Steve, and Boykjo!

They really are good Hams for such a low price!

Steve---I was wondering who would say that. Mrs Bear asked if I wanted my usual taters. I smiled and told her to make mashed taters instead. And like I said, I took two trips for Ham, so I could get my green beans on the plate for the picture, so Al doesn't yell at me for not eating my veggies! 
biggrin.gif

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky