ham + turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcockrell

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 9, 2012
Brandon, MS
hi guys. i am planning on smoking my first turkey on thanksgiving. but im a little scared of it so i got a ham as a backup plan (the precooked ones). i have done lots of research on this forum for the turkey as well as the ham (thanks everyone you guys are the best!).

my question is this: would it be possible to put both of them in the smoker at the same time? perhaps put the ham on top of the turkey and let the fat and juice fall from the ham onto the turkey during cooking? or would this be a completely terrible idea?

thanks

Michael

Michael, morning..... Ham on top is a very good idea.... Raw poultry would contaminate the ham if it was on the bottom rack.....  

Since the ham is precooked, it will only have to be reheated....  It will get done first.... 

thanks guys. i really appreciate it. this will be my first turkey and first ham. actually its my first anything on a smoker. been a griller all my life and i love cooking. stumbled on this forum looking for something else and decided that i MUST get myself a smoker. Q-View pretty much made me go and buy a smoker. bought an MES 30. cant wait to get started!

Michael

Turkey is in the brine in the fridge. ham is chilling out in the rack above it.

im planning on taking lots of pictures of this and posting the results.

since there is going to be ham and turkey cooking together i was pondering which wood to use. i was thinking of going with a mix of either hickory/apple or hickory/cherry. what do you guys think?

Michael

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky