Ham cold smoke question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rings Я Us

Smoking Guru
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
Southeast Michigan
Got a fresh ham and did the brine thing. I want to smoke this bad boy for 24 hours hanging netted . Will be cold smoke in 35-45° weather might be raining half the time but no matter..
Question to people that may have cold smoked a few hams..
You think 24 hours straight smoke is going to be different than 12 on one day then 12 the next?
Flavor going to be best with a day rest?
Thanks for looking and input.

IMG_20180401_194539.jpg

IMG_20180330_195826.jpg

IMG_20180411_183342.jpg
IMG_20180411_222422.jpg
IMG_20180411_222408.jpg
IMG_20180411_223555.jpg
IMG_20180411_225709.jpg

Last edited:
You say "Fresh".
Was it cured?---Fresh usually means raw-Not cured.

You say you did "The Brine Thing".
What is a "Brine Thing"? Brined with what?

If it's not cured, you can't Cold Smoke it above 40°.

Bear

rings, morning.... due to smoke penetrating the meat better, when cold smoked, the smoke on smoke off is a better deal...
I like 6 on 18 off... for many days... very light thin smoke is best.... I like using dust opposed to pellets... much cooler and thinner smoke...
Also, I like a little more nitrite in the meat.. since 200 Ppm is acceptable, I up the nitrite to 180-190 Ppm... That allows for bone weight subtraction..... and the extended smoking time...
It looks like you boned the ham leg... If so, I would have injected the salt, sugar and cure due to the bacteria that has been introduced into the hunk of meat...
For future reference, weigh the fresh hunk of boneless meat.. weigh out the correct amount of salt, sugar and cure for that weight... weigh out 10% weight of the meat in salt free veggie stock... dissolve 0.5% STPP (weight of the meat) and dissolve in the stock... then dissolve the other stuff in the stock... inject ALL of it in the hunk of meat every 1 1/2 inches.. wait 6 days and it's ready for the smoker....

rings, morning.... due to smoke penetrating the meat better, when cold smoked, the smoke on smoke off is a better deal...
I like 6 on 18 off... for many days... very light thin smoke is best.... I like using dust opposed to pellets... much cooler and thinner smoke...
Also, I like a little more nitrite in the meat.. since 200 Ppm is acceptable, I up the nitrite to 180-190 Ppm... That allows for bone weight subtraction..... and the extended smoking time...
It looks like you boned the ham leg... If so, I would have injected the salt, sugar and cure due to the bacteria that has been introduced into the hunk of meat...
For future reference, weigh the fresh hunk of boneless meat.. weigh out the correct amount of salt, sugar and cure for that weight... weigh out 10% weight of the meat in salt free veggie stock... dissolve 0.5% STPP (weight of the meat) and dissolve in the stock... then dissolve the other stuff in the stock... inject ALL of it in the hunk of meat every 1 1/2 inches.. wait 6 days and it's ready for the smoker....
Yes.. I upped the cure weight and all that ..
Injected well.
I don't have time to be smoking this all week. I have to work 7 am-6 pm. Mon-fri. But I can give it 8/8/8 overnight while I'm sleeping and rests of 16/16/16....Since the weather is cold I wont need to worry about that. I'm just not sure about the sawdust part. Never burnt the dust made from pellets yet. I'm familiar with making it though.

You say "Fresh".
Was it cured?---Fresh usually means raw-Not cured.

You say you did "The Brine Thing".
What is a "Brine Thing"? Brined with what?

If it's not cured, you can't Cold Smoke it above 40°.

Bear

Yes. Cured .. Injected and cured for many days. I just wanted to know if multiple cold smoked would be better than one smoke for say 24-36 hours

Last edited:
She sure looks beautiful! I'd go with Daves rest in between,I have found that various things develop a better flavor when rested between smokes.Can't wait to see the finished product.

I agree with Dave too, smoke on, rest, & smoke on again.
Repeat as many times as you like.
For me personally I do 10-12 hours of cold smoke & that's good enough for my taste.
Al

I agree with Dave too, smoke on, rest, & smoke on again.
Repeat as many times as you like.
For me personally I do 10-12 hours of cold smoke & that's good enough for my taste.
Al
Guess I can try out the " pellet dust for light smoke" thing. See how long a row will last etc. Compare smoke intensity of dust vs pellet.

I just use regular sawdust, from my chopsaw when I take splits & cut them up into 1" thick chunks.
So I get it for free. You can also buy sawdust from Amazen Products.
It's going to be 90 here on Sunday, so cold smoking will have to wait until next Fall!
Al

It's 35-45F SE MI!? It's 70F here in N OH. :D

Assuming cured meat, what, if any, are the safety rules for cold smoking? 40-140F no longer applies etc?

Yep... and all the tars and creosote get one more cook... all the bad stuff killed.. may not look clean but, IMO, sterilization is better anyway...

Set up your smoker for cold-smoking following the manufacturer’s instructions; the temperature should be below 100°F. Add the wood as specified by the manufacturer. Hang the ham in the smoker or place it on one of the racks. Cold smoke the ham at no more than 100°F for 12 hours. (Cold-smoking infuses the meat with smoke flavor without cooking the meat.)

Still need to get it cooked or hot smoked afterwards to 160. I'm going to bake mine with a glaze I think.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky