Ham and Beans

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thegoodsmoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Florida
I remember eating ham and beans growing up about once a month. It was a soupy delicous bowl of cubed ham and beans. Does anyone have a recipe for this? I have quite a bit of extra from spare ribs, could this be substituted for the ham?

I make ham and beans all the time, just had it two nights ago.  First you need to start with a good broth.  Go to your butcher, and get a good smoked ham hock or two.  Place that in a stock pot, with a little pepper.  Cook until the mean has fallen off the bone.  Skim the broth, and cut up the ham.  Now add your potatoes and green beans and cook them to tender.  Then add your ham back in.  It will be delicious.  I also sometimes add a little ham broth base that my butcher carries.

Last edited:
LOL.... I love beans! But as to what ham and beans is, is really a geological question. Butter bean and ham is tastee, Pinto beans and bacon rind is hard to beat, Great northern white beans and pork strips are good, what about Navy beans and cubed ham.... I know Boy Scout beans, cooked low and slow with ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, a dash of Lea & Perrins, and a large slice or two of onion w/ strips of bacon laced over the top of the pan. What about split peas? Those Lima beans with some diced tomatoes cooked tender with ham chucks. Oh my. What about Cajun Red Beans & rice with homemade fresh onion and garlic link sausage?

Ok, Its official, I am hungry now!

Pork and beans is all about your geographic region, and I don't think any of them are bad. Maybe you could narrow it down a bit futher?

Listen take those Boy Scout beans in a tin foil pan under a rack of spare ribs, catching that juice...... You could put the removed skirt from the ribs in them, but bacon does fine and I ain't givin up those morsels while cooking!

Last edited:
Foamheart, it's absolutely navy beans also known as great northern. I'm glad you said that, it just sparked something that made me remember. Ham pieces and corn bread.:drool. I'm wondering if the spare rib pork will work well. Only one way to find out I guess.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky