Half chickens with ribs and skin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Hey All,

Gonna do some more chicken this week. Last try at drumsticks was ok on inside but skin sucked. Ran em pretty low thinking of going up on the heat. Reccomendations?

Yes you will have to smoke them at 325 or above to get crispy skin. Personally it's just as easy to crisp up the skin on a hot gas grill. I just pull the chicken off a bit early & throw it on a 600 degree gas grill for a minute or two on each side.
Al

I've always done my chicken low and slow and they turned out great but I am going to have to try cranking up the heat lile some ther suggested wait so long if it produces the same results delicious smoked chicken.

I do all my chicken pieces with high heat. Fire up the Vortex/Kettle combo and let them work their magic. A chunk or two of hickory or apple wood over the coals gives the chicks just enough of a smoke profile for our likings.

Chris

like others have said, I do chicken between 325 to 375, then if needed a short shot under the oven broiler for the final skin crisp.

If I run 375 nothing is really needed but a bigger stomach.

Reactions: negolien
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky