Had the urge for a leg of lamb...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TuckersBarbeque

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 29, 2020
Right Near da Beach... Boyee!
Good morning! Yesterday, I had an urge for lamb. The sweet nature of the meat and tenderness of a filet had me hooked. Of course, wife rolls her eyes and wishes me luck, but always seems to enjoy the end result.
Here goes:
Started with an upper leg portion. Removed some hard fat and removed the bone essentially butterflying it.
IMG_0627.JPEG
IMG_0632.JPEG
IMG_0634.JPEG

Massaged it into a trussed roll and dry brined it with about 1/4 tsp kosher salt per pound. Normally I do 1/2 tsp for a dry brine, but this wasn't a full brine operation. I'm putting more in oil later as part of the rub, so I do not want too much salt. Let sit for ~4 hrs.
IMG_0636.JPEG

About 2 hours prior to the smoke, I made the rub. It consisted of 10 minced garlic cloves, 2t black pepper, 1/2t Kosher salt, 3T chopped rosemary, 2T olive oil, and 2t of Dijon Mustard. It smelled like the Dijon was completely overpowering the rub, however after about 2 hours, it melded in and was more of a background note. I rubbed it on just before going in the smoker at 250 degrees. Kind of looked like a sick corn poo dookie.
IMG_0669.JPEG

When internal temp hit 135, after about 2.5 hours, I let it rest until internal temp was 142, and then sliced. Served with Basmati Rice and some Garlic Butter Kale. Delicious!
IMG_0693.JPEG
IMG_0689.JPEG
IMG_0705.JPEG

That looks perfect, nice piece of work Tucker, Like. I'm thinking lamb myself today and will just pick up a tiny 3lb boneless at Sam's Club, my wife doesn't touch the stuff. I usually like to just punch a ton of garlic slivers into them and tie on some rosemary. RAY

Reactions: TuckersBarbeque
That looks perfectly cooked Tucker. Excellent work, and I bet it was as delicious as it looked. I'm the only one here that eats Lamb as well, so we don't have it either. May take Ray's advice and get some chops.

That looks perfect, nice piece of work Tucker, Like. I'm thinking lamb myself today and will just pick up a tiny 3lb boneless at Sam's Club, my wife doesn't touch the stuff. I usually like to just punch a ton of garlic slivers into them and tie on some rosemary. RAY
Absolutely go for it! I was craving it. I've seen the garlic slivers inserted, that's pretty excellent too. I was just feeling lazy this time.

That looks perfectly cooked Tucker. Excellent work, and I bet it was as delicious as it looked. I'm the only one here that eats Lamb as well, so we don't have it either. May take Ray's advice and get some chops.
I'm surprised to see so many people here say that they are the only ones who eat lamb. Curious, do people not like lamb?

That's a thing of beauty! Perfectly done. I'm a fan of Lamb from young. Unfortunately my Wife and kids are not...JJ

Tucker, thanks for the like, they're very appreciated. I guess it's an acquired taste. As a kid we had Lamb stew occasionally, and I didn't like it, nor do I like it now. But always liked and still do to this day Leg of Lamb, Lamb Chops, etc. I'm also a little surprised how many on here are the only ones in their house that eats it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky