• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Had no idea where to place this.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2018
Messages
13,281
Reaction score
16,255
Location
Newark New York
Just ordered this. Mom fed me this pretty much everyday for lunch during the summer when I was young.

Screenshot_29-9-2026_17152_www.amazon.com.jpeg


Loved it on white bread with cheese and mayo. Or on crackers. I thought this was long gone. Can't wait to have this again.
Hopefully I'll still like it!
 
I hope you still like it.

I was raised on Underwood Deviled Ham, I remembered it fondly until I tried it again a decade or two back... Ugh!

I know taste buds change with age, but so do recipes, i.e. fillers, preservatives and chemistry.
And the latter not for the better.
 

Attachments

  • l-intro-1736453492.jpg
    l-intro-1736453492.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Yeah, it has changed significantly.

Armour potted meat ingredients then and now.

Then (Historical Recipe)
• Base Meats: Traditionally relied heavily on a blend of beef tripe, beef hearts, and various cuts of pork alongside early forms of processed poultry.
• Preservation: Older traditional methods and vintage formulations relied on heavier concentrations of salt and sometimes a sealed layer of rendered fat at the top of the container to block air exposure before modern vacuum-sealed canning became standard.

Now (Current Ingredients)
According to the official Armour Star product formulations and retailer labels, the ingredients are:
• Primary Ingredients: Mechanically separated chicken, pork, water, salt.
• Contains 2% or Less of: Mustard, distilled vinegar, dextrose, sodium erythorbate (to maintain color), garlic powder, sodium nitrite (preservative), and natural flavors.

• Key Shift: Modern production has largely phased out beef tripe and hearts in favor of high-yield mechanically separated chicken blended with pork and pork fatty tissues.
 
I hope you still like it.

I was raised on Underwood Deviled Ham, I remembered it fondly until I tried it again a decade or two back... Ugh!


I know taste buds change with age, but so do recipes, i.e. fillers, preservatives and chemistry.
And the latter not for the better.
Yep, had a lot of that Deviled Ham 🙂
 
Oh boy, first a spam thread now this. I'm getting fat reading this stuff. I remember the deviled ham, but can't recall the potted meat. I think a sweet relish bologna spread kinda sorta thing was also available?
 
I ate a lot of Armour Potted Meat as a kid and loved it. They still sell it where I live and I usually pick up a few cans when going camping or hunting. When I was a kid I liked it just the way it was out of the can. Now, not so much, but I discovered that when I put the can in the fridge after making a sandwich. I discovered that the leftover cold potted meat tastes much better when chilled. Now I put the can in the fridge about 1/2 and hour to 45 minutes ahead of time. Try this if you don't like it at room temp, but it won't spread as easy. Easier to "slice" it up and much it around the bread.
 
I used to take it camping, nostalgically tasty as a result. I still grab a can once in a blue moon. Back in my youth I swear the can said "Potted Meat Food Product" which was a source of amusement. Why the odd nomenclature?
 
I've had a dip made with it , sour cream and mayo that I loved. I also grew up loving potted meat, deviled ham and Viennas.
 
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top
Clicky