Gyro sliders and Greek Salad

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
I had a lot of lamb leftovers from the leg I did sous vide this past weekend. After a couple meals of it with chimichurri it was time to repurpose some. My wife had to fast for 24 hours for a routine medical test (read colonoscopy ) so I wanted to make something for her she would love. I know she loves Greek salads so I decided to convert the lamb into a Greek style dish as well.

So here we go. First up I made a gyro spice mix, 2 tbsp dark chili, 1 tbsp ground coriander, 1 tbsp cumin, 1 tbsp paprika, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp dried parsley, 2 tsp dried oregano, 2 tsp dried thyme, 1 tbsp salt. Sliced the lamb all up in nice little bite sized pieces and got out the avocado oil to get things cooking.
lamb ingredients with rub.jpg

Got things going in the cast iron skillet. As I have mentioned in other posts I have really grown to prefer my cast iron skillet over all our other high end fancy pans. Poured in a bit of avocado oil , threw in the lamb and hit it liberally with the seasoning mix.

lamb cooking.jpg

Cooked until I had a nice crust of spices and oil on all of the meat. Of course I had to sample a little here and it was pretty darn good!
finished lamb.jpg

All this prep work is being done a day ahead of time to throw the meal together quickly the next night so setting the lamb aside I turned my attention next to the tzatziki sauce. I made a more keto friendly version by using a recipe based on sour cream instead of greek yogurt. You could easily use either for this. Ingredients for this are 1 cup of sour cream, 1 cup peeled and grated cucumber, 2 cloves of garlic minced, 1 tbsp dried dill weed, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp. avocado oil (can use olive) and a pinch or two of salt to taste. I used a couple pinches of Himalayan pink salt.
tzaiki ingredients .jpg

Here is the sauce finished. It is pretty important on this to let the flavors marry overnight.

finished tzaiki .jpg

Next up is a quick homemade Greek salad dressing. I didn't remember to capture a pic of the ingredients so here is a pretty non photogenic pic of the finished dressing lol. This is a very basic dressing 1/2 cup olive or avocado oil, 1/3 cup red wine vinegar, 1 lemon juiced, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 2 garlic cloves minced, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper. I just measured it all into a small Mason jar and shook it up. We use Mason jars for a lot of dressings like this.
dressing.jpg

Last bit of prep work I captured was to make some Greek chaffles. We use chaffles as substitutes for many buns due our keto eating lifestyle. I though these would make perfect little mini gyro wraps for the gyro sliders. Ingredients are 2 eggs, 1 cup mozzarella, 1/2 cup parmesan, 1 cup of finely chopped fresh spinach, and 1/2 cup of feta.
chaffle ingredients.jpg

Next step is straight forward, mix it all up and voila this is the batter. I forgot to capture a pic of them cooking them in the mine waffle maker. This recipe makes 4 to 5 chaffles. I will say this was one of the more difficult chaffle batters I have worked with but they were very delicious. Next time I will add some of the gyro spice mix to them as well. Below are pics of the batter and then a few of the finished chaffles.
chaffle batter.jpg

chaffles done.jpg

Last step was to throw together a Greek salad. I somehow forgot a pic of the bowl of salad. Pretty simple stuff. Romaine lettuce, red onion, halved heirloom cherry tomatoes, red onion, cucumber , kalamata olives and feta cheese. So roll the clock forward to the next day.......................

Added the salad, drizzled on some of the dressing and dusted it with a little oregano. The lamb was warmed up as were the chaffles to make them pliable again. Spread the tzatziki on the chaffles, piled a little lamb on each and then topped that with some capers. Threw a lemon in to squeeze on the salad and gyro sliders.
plated 1.jpg

gyro slider closeup.jpg

Well thats it thanks for looking!! More leftovers avoid the garbage lol :)

that is awesome, I buy at least 5lbs of lamb/beef gyro meat shaved and make gyro's or gyro salads at least once a week. I also make a sour cream based cucumber/dill salad to save carbs. I really want to try your "waffle" recipe, I think that will be much better than the low carb wraps I currently use - Thanks!

Reactions: jcam222
Looks great! Awesome step by step thread. Gyros are not something we do around here but I may have to change that after seeing your post. That salad looks amazing!

That looks wonderful Jeff, I bet the wife appreciated both the effort and flavors.

Point for sure
Chris

Beautiful meal Jeff!! I ate Gyros all the time when I was younger and absolutely loved them. It's been a while since having one though. As with a few other folks, I may have to change that. Had a little Greek restaurant just down the street when we lived in our previous house and any time Tracy wasn't going to be home for dinner, that's where I went. I didn't even have to order. I just walked in the door, they brought me a beer, an got the Gyro going. It's just a bit too far now to go for dinner.

Congrats on the carousel ride!! Beautiful presentation and much deserved. Was pretty creative too!!

Robert

That's a beautiful meal! Looked like a lot of work, it's great when everything comes together like that. Like, RAY

Damn Jeff that is simply outstanding! Beautiful presentation and the ahead of time prep work is great! You nailed it on this one. I could eat that for dinner every night this week and never get tired of it. Big points my friend!

Jeff everything about that screams to me to be eaten. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten a gyro.

Everything looks awesome! Congrats on the carousel ride.

Jeff this looks incredible! We are huge greek/middle eastern foodies, and I actually made some venison "gyro meat" that will work perfectly for this! Love the no carb pitas too...very intriguing!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky