Gumbo...long with lots of pics...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...has been on my to-do list for quite a while and with my recent purchase of fresh shrimp, it was time. Last week I went over to Gay Fish Company on St. Helena Island and restocked my supply of shrimp right off of the boat. 100 lbs...
Resized_20220919_194104[1].jpeg

Resized_20220920_075503[1].jpeg

After freezing them in quart containers, it was time to cook some and gumbo was on the menu. I peeled a quart and gathered up most of the rest of the ingredients which included a pack of Zatarain's Andouille Sausage, 6 boneless/skinless chicken thighs, colored bell peppers chopped, a couple of medium yellow onions chopped, a couple of stalks of celery chopped, about a pound of fresh okra cut up, and a large can of diced tomatoes...
20220927_155243[1].jpg

Not pictured was 2 quarts of unsalted chicken broth, Slap Ya Mama seasoning, a bay leaf, course salt and cracked black pepper, 3/4 cup A.P. flour, 3/4 cup of vegetable oil.

First up is the chicken. I seasoned it with the Slap Ya Mama and grilled it over some lump. The cooked chicken was then cut into bite size pieces...
20220927_162757[1].jpg

Since the grill was hot, might as well cook the sausage on it, too. Sliced and onto the grill until browned...
20220927_163315[1].jpg

Time to cook the roux. The vegetable oil was heated on medium and the flour was whisked in. The roux is stirred constantly until the desired color is achieved, about 15 minutes for me this time...
20220927_164057[1].jpg

After achieving a medium brown color, I stirred in the holy trinity of Cajun cooking. Stirring almost constantly until the vegetables begin to soften. The roux will thicken some...
20220927_165332[1].jpg

20220927_165615[1].jpg

Meanwhile in a large pot, I combined the tomatoes and chicken broth. Brought that up to a simmer...
20220927_160301[1].jpg

Once the vegetables were soft, they were stirred into the pot...
20220927_165922[1].jpg

Next the okra was sauted in a couple of tsp of bacon drippings until slightly browned...
20220927_170611[1].jpg

This was then stirred into the pot, the bay leaf, sausage, and chicken were added and it was all simmered covered for about an hour...
20220927_170716[1].jpg

The shrimp were stirred in and the pot was removed from the heat. Don't want to overcook the shrimp. Taste for seasoning and adjust as necessary...
20220927_175153[1].jpg

Served over rice, dusted with a little more of the Slap Ya Mama, and garnished with chopped green onions. Time to eat...
20220927_180446[1].jpg

I did not add any extra seasoning to the pot while all was cooking nor did I add any hot sauce, it was available on the side. The roux is critical to this dish and it can not be left alone, stir constantly or it will burn and you'll have to start over. It can be cooked to whatever shade of brown you desire, I stopped at a medium darkness due to time constraints and that took about 15 minutes to achieve.

The sausage can be browned in a skillet on the stove. This may be better because there won't be any loss of drippings that I had through the pan I used on the grill. The chicken was something I had and can be found in many gumbo recipes, but can be left out. Also, it can be browned in a skillet on the stove.

My family really liked this and my 6 year old granddaughter actually ate 2 helpings although she is not a fan of the okra...yet:emoji_wink:, she picked it out:emoji_laughing:. But I believe okra is essential to gumbo...

100lbs of shrimp, That's a lot of shrimp.
Man that gumbo looks good. I haven't made it in a long time. May have to make a batch

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
100lbs of shrimp, That's a lot of shrimp.
Man that gumbo looks good. I haven't made it in a long time. May have to make a batch
Yes 100 lbs. is a lot of shrimp, but to get the best price, I buy it in 50 lb. boxes or increments. Shrimp at the docks can be bought either head-on or head-off, but the overall price per lb. works out about the same as there is a 40% loss on the heads. I've gotten to the point where I don't like pinching heads anymore and 50 lbs. wouldn't last me a year with the crowd I typically feed...:emoji_laughing:

Thank you for your compliments...

Reactions: Newglide
Looks awesome! Lows in the 50's all this week in South Louisiana...it's gumbo time!
Thanks Keith!! Lows in the 50's here, as well. The hankering for soups and stews is increasing...
looks delicious!! very nice pictures telling the story!
Thank you!
Man that looks delicious. Love me some gumbo. Thank you for sharing your recipe!
Thank you Tyler, your compliments are appreciated. The recipe is nothing special, there are a ton out there on the interweb very similar. I just kind of ad-lib with what I have on hand, but the basics are all the same...

Dang'it man, that looks pretty good to me.
Nice cook!
Just one thing missing, where's the gumbo filé?

Well, technically speaking, either okra or filé works....though some gumbos call for both. I personally prefer the flavor filé brings (I always add extra in my bowl), and I make my gumbo without tomato. Usually when adding okra you will see tomato added to help cut the stringy effect of the okra.....

Last edited:
Well, technically speaking, either okra or filé works....though some gumbos call for both. I personally prefer the flavor filé brings (I always add extra in my bowl), and I make my gumbo without tomato. Usually when adding okra you will see tomato added to help cut the stringy effect of the okra.....
Me too, both okra and filé are needed for a really outstanding gumbo.
I like fried oysters on top too, not in the gumbo.
Now if you really want to get a hot debate going you could talk about how dark the roux should be... LOL!

Now THAT is a topic I won't even bring up with FAMILY!!! It is almost as bad as politics and religion!!!! LOL!

That said; personally I like a cajun dark brown roux with seafood gumbo...looks as dark as a Hershey's Dark Chocolate bar...and smells nutty, not burnt.

Fried oyster's on top would be a real game changer!

Man Charles does that look good, and with the colder weather starting to creep in around here. That is a definite bookmark. Thanks for sharing.

Point for sure
Chris

...has been on my to-do list for quite a while and with my recent purchase of fresh shrimp, it was time. Last week I went over to Gay Fish Company on St. Helena Island and restocked my supply of shrimp right off of the boat. 100 lbs...
View attachment 644677
View attachment 644678
Now that's a lot of shrimp.

The gumbo looks absolutely delicious. Only change for me is I use the fat from frying the sausage for the vegetables, and can't wrap my mind around the ocra.

I would definitely eat a bunch of that.

Dang'it man, that looks pretty good to me.
Nice cook!
Just one thing missing, where's the gumbo filé?
Filé is about as easy to find around here as hen's teeth:emoji_laughing:. I forgot to mention that in my write-up, but it is a necessary ingredient, just non-existent in my neck of the woods.

Thanks John...

• Love
Reactions: chilerelleno
Me too, both okra and filé are needed for a really outstanding gumbo.
I like fried oysters on top too, not in the gumbo.
Now if you really want to get a hot debate going you could talk about how dark the roux should be... LOL!

Now THAT is a topic I won't even bring up with FAMILY!!! It is almost as bad as politics and religion!!!! LOL!

That said; personally I like a cajun dark brown roux with seafood gumbo...looks as dark as a Hershey's Dark Chocolate bar...and smells nutty, not burnt.

Fried oyster's on top would be a real game changer!
Fried oysters sounds great, we love them. As for the roux, I like it darker than what I made it, but I was running out of time to eat before our granddaughter's softball game...

Reactions: indaswamp
Looks delicious to me! Very nice job.

I sure wish I could bulk buy fresh shrimp. I’m jealous.
Thanks for the kind words and yes fresh shrimp is usually abundant and we sometimes take it for granted...
Nicely done.. !
Gumbo will be the center of argument forever.. Roux, file, okra (yuk), tomato, Creole, Cajun, and on and on.
It's one one of my family's favorite for me to make.
Thanks, but gumbo isn't gumbo without okra...:emoji_laughing:
Man Charles does that look good, and with the colder weather starting to creep in around here. That is a definite bookmark. Thanks for sharing.

Point for sure
Chris
Chris, I appreciate your compliments very much...
Now that's a lot of shrimp.

The gumbo looks absolutely delicious. Only change for me is I use the fat from frying the sausage for the vegetables, and can't wrap my mind around the ocra.

I would definitely eat a bunch of that.
"Ocra" is something most either love or hate:emoji_wink:. As for the shrimp, I usually cook about 4-5 quarts at a time when the crowd is here so it goes fast. Thanks a bunch for your comments...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky