Guess what's making its debut at elk camp this weekend? I can now tell you that the Elk did not make

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon

That's right the mini-wsm is going Elk Hunting! I didn't draw a tag this year and couldn't make the general season work with wedding. But I am still going for a few days to help pack if needed and to cook some Q for dinner. Currently planning on Scarbelly wings one night, tri tip one night and thinking pork chops the last night that I am there. We're gonna be eating good!

With a set menu like that... yku can't go wrong.. dang nab it you didnt get a draw.. but .. im sure your fellas with share if you cook what elk get it ;)

That's right the mini-wsm is going Elk Hunting! I didn't draw a tag this year and couldn't make the general season work with wedding. But I am still going for a few days to help pack if needed and to cook some Q for dinner. Currently planning on Scarbelly wings one night, tri tip one night and thinking pork chops the last night that I am there. We're gonna be eating good!

I hear ya...I bought a boat/project so I spent many late nights rebuilding the motor and re-installing, before I knew it I spent all my play money...alas we have a nice power boat, but no elk meat (except my boy Pete got one so he's offered my a few roasts!)

~Brett

With a set menu like that... yku can't go wrong.. dang nab it you didnt get a draw.. but .. im sure your fellas with share if you cook what elk get it ;)
We like to eat good when we go hunting! I hope we get into some.

I am just jealous about the hunt.

Know your food will be great!

Good luck and good smoking.
New area and we are only going to have a day to scout. It's just fun to get out there!

I hear ya...I bought a boat/project so I spent many late nights rebuilding the motor and re-installing, before I knew it I spent all my play money...alas we have a nice power boat, but no elk meat (except my boy Pete got one so he's offered my a few roasts!)

~Brett
I know how the boat project thing goes! I just sold a 20' sailboat that I have been building since 2005. That only leaves me with 5 other boats!

Always wanted to go on a Elk Hunting Trip....maybe my Daughter and New Son will take me one day......Wait a minute.....He still owes me a Elk Hunting Rifle.....Wanted to know if he could marry my Daughter......so I traded her for a Rifle to hunt Elk with....he is a GunSmith....lol....I just want to sit in a tree with all that White stuff every where and watch them go by...maybe shoot him with a camera....I'm a trucker and I see you guys go by, both ways. Only wish my Wife had a Rack like that...LMAO.....Just Kiddin' Honey...lol....Enjoy the Hun,.. Cookie...

Ron

So the Elk did not make a good showing! In fact talking to all the old timers hunting the area for the past 20-30 years they all claim that the since the outlawing of hunting cats woth dogs the cows and calves never cross into the area we could hunt. Only the bulls drop down. We heard one shot opening day, nothing the next two days and three shots yesterday. We did eat pretty good. Tri tip, scarbelly wings, smoked chili burgers, pork loin.

Saw all kinds of weather. Rain, sleet, hail, sun. Woke up to 3" of snow yesterday. Nice and toasty in the wall tent with the wood stove chugging along. Thought it might have snowed, gets really quite at night when the snow falls. Sure enough it did!

The area was super steep, thick and to get to it you had to cross the river. Luckily this time of year the river isn't all that deep.

Camp the first evening. There is a river crossing here and the forested mountains loom up behind.

We set up our tent facing East as the predominate wind is from the West. Can see the Desert mountains to the North. Since I didn't have a tag I spent most of my time up in those hills Glassing back across to the area where my friend was hunting. There is no vehicle access allowed off road so my legs got a great work out!

Always fun to pull a few pranks at camp. I think my buddies tongue has recovered... 
ROTF.gif

Thick steep stuff!

Tri tip (sliced with the grain in preparation of slicing against the grain)

Smoked some taters up too. That's all of the food photos. Was too wet the rest of the trip to get good shots of anything.

Oh man you got me going now! White tail firearm season opens Nov. 15th in Michigan, and our annual trip is that weekend (10 days away!). We don't tent camp, but we do eat like kings. I haven't been thinking about it much, but you sure piqued my interests. Thanks for the awesome pics.

Oh man you got me going now! White tail firearm season opens Nov. 15th in Michigan, and our annual trip is that weekend (10 days away!). We don't tent camp, but we do eat like kings. I haven't been thinking about it much, but you sure piqued my interests. Thanks for the awesome pics.
I black powder hunt for white tail here, when I draw a tag. It's been a while. I spooked two really nice bucks (mule deer) when I was hiking in to glass. Bunch of good looking does too. ON our way back to town we saw several hundred head of deer lounging around in the hay and alfalfa fields, getting all fat for winter!

Now I'm craving a rack of bone-in luscious elk chops, seared "black & blue" and cold in the middle!

However, your hunting camp food looks BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!

Cheers! And happy Tuesday! - Leah

Now I'm craving a rack of bone-in luscious elk chops, seared "black & blue" and cold in the middle!

However, your hunting camp food looks BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!

Cheers! And happy Tuesday! - Leah
Thanks Leah. We were hoping for fresh Elk Heart and Backstrap to throw on the mini-wsm. Oh well there's always next year!

Yeah, I always end up spooking more deer then I shoot, but I like just getting out of town for a few days with my buddies. Fortuneatly we have a little smokers coalition, so I have help with the cooking.

Yeah, I always end up spooking more deer then I shoot, but I like just getting out of town for a few days with my buddies. Fortuneatly we have a little smokers coalition, so I have help with the cooking.
I'll tell you the mini-wsm is a beast and is the perfect size for the type of hunt camp we do. My buddy does the breakfast I do the dinner and we fend for ourselves during the day. Left over tri tip sandwiches were really good! All the breakfast meat came from a pig my buddy slaughtered, bacon was tasty, but not as tasty as mine!

I'll tell you the mini-wsm is a beast and is the perfect size for the type of hunt camp we do. My buddy does the breakfast I do the dinner and we fend for ourselves during the day. Left over tri tip sandwiches were really good! All the breakfast meat came from a pig my buddy slaughtered, bacon was tasty, but not as tasty as mine!

I'll have to search for your bacon recipes. I'm seriously thinking about doing some this fall or winter. Maybe some buck board too since butts are so cheap right now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky