Ground beef jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Good morning all. I have a question in regards to making jerky from ground meat. I've had it before, store bought. And it was pretty good. So I'm thinking about giving it a try.
I'm eye balling the LEM 468 Jerky cannon. Any pro's and cons with this one?
What is the best blend of burger? 90/10, 80/20, 70/30?
I believe you use more cure then whole cuts.
Thanks for any help!

I have the LEM 555 Jerky Gun and it works great. I use 93/7 ground beef. I still trying to find a seasoning I like. I have used the Backwoods original that came with it and not a fan. I like the ground beef jerky as it does not get stuck in your teeth. Good luck.

Steve, I mixed the seasoning into ground beef...
Rolled it out flat and put in the smoker....
Then I sliced it into strips and chunks...
Came out pretty good.....

NESCO Beef Jerky 93-7 012.JPG

NESCO Beef Jerky 93-7 003.JPG

002.JPG

Thanks Dave and Brian. I went and bought it. Talk about about great timing. I just got a 20% promo code from LEM. That decided it!

Good morning all. I have a question in regards to making jerky from ground meat. I've had it before, store bought. And it was pretty good. So I'm thinking about giving it a try.
I'm eye balling the LEM 468 Jerky cannon. Any pro's and cons with this one?
What is the best blend of burger? 90/10, 80/20, 70/30?
I believe you use more cure then whole cuts.
Thanks for any help!

I use the LEM 468, love it, I also use the Lem jerky mix, always have great success. I feel I have a good process. Contact me, Would be happy to help you.

Attachments

• IMG_3186.JPG
    IMG_3186.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3187.JPG
    IMG_3187.JPG
    188.6 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3189.JPG
    IMG_3189.JPG
    177.6 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3191.JPG
    IMG_3191.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0387.jpg
    IMG_0387.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 102
Wow! I'd say that you do! I'll take you up on that offer if I run into a problem. You grinding your own meat, or buying burger?

Wow! I'd say that you do! I'll take you up on that offer if I run into a problem. You grinding your own meat, or buying burger?

Both, My meat room in my basement. My buddy grinding up some venison.

Attachments

• IMG_0350.jpg
    IMG_0350.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0352 (2).jpg
    IMG_0352 (2).jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2089.JPG
    IMG_2089.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 77
I got the cannon. Now I'm waiting on different jerky trays. The ones I have now is more for whole meat jerky. I ordered some trays with smaller openings that will work in both the oven. And the smoker.

Like Dave Q-mats are a great addition to any grate. I have them cut to fit all of my smokers.

Along the lines of cannon versus rolling out, the rolling out option is down and out fast with minimal clean up. If you're into gadgets and don't mind cleaning up the cannon is fun but can be time consuming since you are limited in how much you can load at a time. My son used to love using the cannon. He also didn't have to clean it!

For rolling out its easy to make a thickness gauge out of a couple strips of 1/4" (or whatever thickness you want) wood or stainless. Or there's the fancy (my wife has these) rolling pins that are gauged. Some are adjustable, the wood ones that we have are not. Ours are 1/8" & 1/4" and pretty long. Wrap the rolling pin in saran wrap for easier clean up and non-stick surface.

We make dog treats once a month. Originally with the cannon. But the rolling pin method is so much quicker and less clean up that the cannon just sits collecting dust on its box in the garage.

I like a leaner mix for beef, 93/7. Don't limit yourself to beef. Try ground pork, and ground chicken. Both make great jerky.

Seasoning wise watch it closely. A recipe that is great on whole muscle meat may be overpowering with ground meat. Since the meat has been broke down it will absorb more of the marinade/seasonings.

If you really want to try something unique get out the food processor and give fish and seafood a whirl. The cannon works better for this as the consistency doesn't work well with the mixture to roll.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky