Ground beef jerky sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ErikAlan

Original poster
Jan 7, 2019
My uncle got me a dehydrator for Christmas: Cabela’s Harvester Pro Five Tier and I’ve been using it a lot since I got it.

So far, round steak has come out great as has sirloin. Wife wanted jerky sticks so used one of the recipes that came with the jerky gun I bought. Everything looked good going in. Recipe was basically the same as the beef round I had made previously. (No cure)

Temp set to 160 for 3 hours at first to test, at 2.5 hours I check and was underdone in the middle so added 2 more hours. Double checked the manual for making ground beef jerky and it told me 8-12 hours to fully dry, so I left it in longer.

End result was a catastrophe. Came out over dry, brittle and a tad gross.

I’m thinking it’s just how long I dried it for and drying for less will fix next batch.

Looking for any tips on making ground beef jerky in a dehydrator, specifically what temps and how long and any additional tips on flavorings. Some sites say don’t use too much liquid and only use lean 90/10 and others use a lot of liquod and 80/20, so no real consensus.

Any help would be great.

Thank you all.

I think each dehydrator is going to work differently. It will just be a learning curve until you get things figured out. I have the cheaper Nesco ( works good when I need it) but I also had the 1st couple of batches that I had troubles with that dried out to much. When they are sliced real thin, it is easy to over dry them.

Yeah, don’t think I’m going to do sticks again. Gonna try flat ground beef strips and check it more thoroughly

I had the same trouble and ended up making the flat strips with good/great results. 3-4 hours in the Nesco is my normal. The jerky should bend without breaking. After the dehydrator I let them sit in an open container in the fridge for a few days to dry a little more. I also think the fat content makes a big difference; 90% to dry, 80% greasy, 85 seems to work for me.

I am new here, but I really enjoy the ideas that everyone comes up with on here.
I have been trying to figure out ground meat jerky for at least 20 years, I tried mixing chicken,deer,pork,beef,turkey, to try to get a good sticky mixture. Let me tell you what I have found that works for me.
I use nesco seasonings.
Check into a sausage making supply company for a binder, it seems like adding binder did wonders for my ground meat jerky. It makes it nice and sticky and it holds together perfect out of nesco’s jerky gun.
I have been making sliced jerky and ground meat jerky for 20 plus years.
I made so much jerky on my Excalibur dehydrater that from the vibrations it just basically cracked apart. I am on my 2nd Excalibur dehydrater, that I have nothing but great things to say about their products.
Feel free to ask any questions and I will and answer them with what I have learned over the years.

Fat in or on jerky goes rancid pretty quick. Use leaner ground meat or add Cure #1 as it inhibits rancidity...JJ

I like the texture and flavour Cure#1 seems to add.

also, I find I need to start out on the cooler side. If I start at the top of my dehy setting, the outer dries fast, and the inner never dries at all..... and it tastes... uh... not good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky