Grocery Sale This Week

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Tis the season to stock up on rib roasts, $4.97lb here at the Kroger affiliate. I scored two whole-in-the-bag USDA choice, and will break them down into steaks, small roasts, and some racks of ribs, all set for awhile. RAY

DSCN4298.JPG

DSCN4297.JPG

DSCN4299.JPG

Yeah Dave, I went back to back and scored early! I've developed a good repour with the butchers at my local Fry's market. They know I make sausage and smoke my own bacon and hams, and they actually love it when someone requests on sale steaks be cut thicker than what's in the display case. When T-bones came on sale at $4.77lb I had a dozen cut 1&3/4" thick, said no rush, I'll come back in a couple of hours to pick them up. I live close. Makes a difference, what they cut for me looks more like a Porterhouse. RAY

Reactions: Dave in AZ
Yeah Dave, I went back to back and scored early! I've developed a good repour with the butchers at my local Fry's market. They know I make sausage and smoke my own bacon and hams, and they actually love it when someone requests on sale steaks be cut thicker than what's in the display case. When T-bones came on sale at $4.77lb I had a dozen cut 1&3/4" thick, said no rush, I'll come back in a couple of hours to pick them up. I live close. Makes a difference, what they cut for me looks more like a Porterhouse. RAY
yeah when I go back I am asking them to not cut the ribs off, will also make it easier on them. Then I can cut them as thick as I want for dino ribs.

yeah when I go back I am asking them to not cut the ribs off, will also make it easier on them. Then I can cut them as thick as I want for dino ribs.
Tell the butcher you'd like "whole-in-the-bag" Clif, only way to go. That way to get the meat just as it comes to the market, never been opened. Most often I'll just toss them right in the freezer and break them down at my convenience, I don't mind a little extra fat, they always want to take too much off. RAY

Sounds great Guys. I got 2 Rib Roasts at our Kroger, the ad said limit 1, ut I got 2 and nobody said anything. I like the idea of Whole in Bag uncut. I wish T bones went on sale here, not lately. Our Publix also has Rib Roasts on sale, but already cut and retied. Thanks for the info. Stay safe.

Yeah those rib roasts are great deals! I don't eat steak much these days as I'm watching the amount of calories I'm intaking and if I'm grilling a steak I'm not going to compromise on it and will blow my current meal planning all to hell hahaha.

I like a nice big thick juicy steak and 1800 calories in 1 shot wrecks things for me hahah

Reactions: MJB05615
I picked up a 2# rib roast at Publix the other day for $5.97 pp. Only 3 of us right now and the other 2 are not fond of the red from a properly cooked rib roast.
I'm central Florida for the winter. I haven't seen it that low back in Minnesota in many years even on Holiday sales.
I would love to get a big rack as many posted, but I am almost out of freezer space and we don't go through meat that fast.
Same place I got the rib roasts they had brisket at only $8.99 lb...lol
Cliff
As you mentioned in a different thread ... "welcome to New York"?
Count your blessing getting the racks under $5 pp

Reactions: clifish
I picked up a 2# rib roast at Publix the other day for $5.97 pp. Only 3 of us right now and the other 2 are not fond of the red from a properly cooked rib roast.
I'm central Florida for the winter. I haven't seen it that low back in Minnesota in many years even on Holiday sales.
I would love to get a big rack as many posted, but I am almost out of freezer space and we don't go through meat that fast.

Cliff
As you mentioned in a different thread ... "welcome to New York"?
Count your blessing getting the racks under $5 pp
I am lucky my FIL has a unused chest freezer in his garage that I can use, he winters in FL so I just fill it up with these. Vac seal the steaks and I will be eating good for a long while.

2 are not fond of the red from a properly cooked rib roast.
I know the feeling. We'll have around 17 people and a couple of them don't like it red and I've already told them it will be rare to medium rare. I said it can always be cooked more, but can't be uncooked.
I am lucky my FIL has a unused chest freezer in his garage that I can use
Our daughter and her husband have the same and I keep a stash of stuff in it, too...

I picked up one of those, too. A little over 10#. Probably going to have to trim a little of that hard fat off, though.
20221218_135936.jpg

Publix in Winston-Salem has choice grade prime rib for $5.79/lb so check them out if your near one. And Food Lion has choice grade at $6.79/lb (limit of 2).

It usually isn't worth my driving to the nearest Publix as it's over 20 miles away but I have an eye exam a few miles from there tomorrow so I suspect another rib roast or two are destined for the freezer.....

I buy at least five 3-4 bone roasts every holiday season, cut off the bones with good bit of meat for the smoker and then tie and freeze the roasts. As there are only two of us some are as small as 2 to 2-1/2# which is about as small as I like to roast them. But as we do a good bit of entertaining most stay pretty large. If we want ribeye steaks I just pull out one of the smaller ones and whack it in half.

As a side note regarding rib roasts, about a year and a half ago the son of good friends of ours asked me to teach him traditional BBQ, meat curing and sausage making. He's named Caleb and is all of 13 years old now. In many ways he's an old soul at 13. We're dining with them tonight so he's been here for a few hours and has a rib roast in the oven.

20221222_161030.jpg

His 9 year old brother, Ethan, comes over to bake with Nancy as often as he can. She's at a company holiday luncheon this afternoon so Ethan and I made a skillet brownie for brownie sundaes tonight. We used my mother's old chicken fryer skillet as it has a glass smooth seasoning and I know the brownies won't even think about sticking.

20221222_161019.jpg

This was Caleb's Christmas prime rib last year while still in the smoker.

20211223_153451.jpg

This was Caleb tying his first roast last year. He did around 7 of them before they went into the freezer.

20211222_125345.jpg

There's hope for the younger generation yet.......

Attachments

• 20211223_123300.jpg
    20211223_123300.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211229_171856.jpg
    20211229_171856.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211229_171913.jpg
    20211229_171913.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 3
All that different meat and desert is looking really good! Very nice that you are teaching the younger folk how to cook, a skill they will be glad they have!

When my daughters were about 9 & 11 my wife started having each of them pick, prepare, and cook dinner one night each week. We had plenty of cookbooks of varying difficulty and my wife and I were available to advise, but they did everything themselves, including making up their shopping list. And no frozen or canned stuff.

Now they are 31 and 33 and are both excellent cooks. When they went away to college they were amazed that almost none of their classmates had the faintest idea how to cook anything. Best thing we ever did for them and my wife gets 95% of the credit.

Edited to add: we only had daughters. If we had had a son he would have made a dinner as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky