Grinding Brisket Question?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RiversideSm0ker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Riverside, Cal
When you grind a brisket for hamburger, do you trim off any of the fat or just grind everything together? I’m considering buying one purely to grind and want to make sure my ground beef doesn’t come out terrible. Thanks in advance.
G

When you grind a brisket for hamburger, do you trim off any of the fat or just grind everything together? I’m considering buying one purely to grind and want to make sure my ground beef doesn’t come out terrible. Thanks in advance.
G

I have never ground brisket but a certain amount of fat is necessary. If your burgers are too lean, they will fall apart on the grill.

My suggestion is to trim off the fat cap and weigh it separately from the meat.

Add fat back to the grind by weight.

For example if you have 10 lbs of lean meat and want a 20 % fat content, you would add 2 lbs of fat back into the mix.

I like juicy burgers so I would probably go 25 or even 30% fat content.

My $0.02

JC

Newbie here. I buy brisket burgers from my butcher. I think the fat content might be closer to 30%. They are damn good. Agree with JC, Add the fat by weight and at least 20%.

Good luck!

No matter what cut of meat you want to grind, I cut off all the Fat, Weigh your meat then add fat to what ever blend you like

Gary

RiversideSm0ker RiversideSm0ker I clean up anything I wouldn't want to eat , then grind the whole thing . Weighing everything and going by percentage is the best way to do it , but never had bad result doing the whole thing . Makes a great burger .
20200419_112612.jpg

same, i trim all the fat i can then grind. having too little fat in the burger has never been an issue. if you like more, save and add back by weight %.

Reactions: chopsaw
Same as most of the others. I trim off some of the really hard white fat/silverskin and then just grind the whole thing. The correct way would be to trim and then add back in by percentage of what you want but never had a problem not doing that. Love some brisket burgers!

Reactions: sandyut and chopsaw
I've done it and you have to get rid of the hard fat, it won't cook in the time a burger sees flame.
Also, pure brisket does not taste right in a burger, you need to toss a chuck roast in there too if you want it to resemble normal burger taste.
Best plan is to save up soft fat from steaks, other briskets, chuck roasts etc... and use that to add fat to brisket burger.

Thanks for all of the input guys. My thought was that brisket is pretty fatty by nature and being a dollar a pound less expensive than traditional ground beef, it seems like a no brainer. That’s why I ask the experts like you all. For now I’m leaning towards shelving the idea but I’m not going to completely abandon the idea permanently. You folks are the best source of smoking advice I’ve ever found.

G

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the input guys. My thought was that brisket is pretty fatty by nature and being a dollar a pound less expensive than traditional ground beef, it seems like a no brainer. That’s why I ask the experts like you all. For now I’m leaning towards shelving the idea but I’m not going to completely abandon the idea permanently. You folks are the best source of smoking advice I’ve ever found.

G
Grinding brisket in place of buying store bought is a great way to go . My reply was an answer to your question . Straight brisket makes a great burger . No reason to add any thing else . I've bought the tube ground beef , didn't like it .

I take off the big edge of hard fat & grind the rest. I guess the right way would be to take all the fat off & weigh it so you Would get the correct percentage. But my way has always worked fine for us.
Al

Reactions: chopsaw
Grinding brisket in place of buying store bought is a great way to go . My reply was an answer to your question . Straight brisket makes a great burger . No reason to add any thing else . I've bought the tube ground beef , didn't like it .
Completely agree!!

Ground Chuck Roasts are also very good and takes way less prep time.

I will never buy grocery ground beef again - it grosses me out now. also there was a study about how many cows were in one pound...McDonald's confirmed it was more than 100 in their beef and I have heard number many fold higher.

Mine have one or two

The best burgers I ever made were 3 1/2 pounds of ground brisket & 1 1/2 pounds of ground pork belly ground together. Then use a burger press & make 6 oz. burgers. Talk about a juicy burger!!

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky