Grinding Beef at home

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pi guy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
SE Michigan
We have a Kitchen Aid attachment we use once a year to make homemade kielbasa. I've never made homemade ground beef, so wondering if anyone can offer tips/suggestions? I like the thought of brisket, mixed with chuck? I guess I should google it, but thought some of you may have some good ideas and experience doing this already. Thanks in advance for any direction you can give me!

Brisket and chuck is a good combo, and you can add a little short rib to make it extra special. Personally, I'm fine with 100% brisket - I think it's the best single cut to use. I weigh the lean and fat separately to get a better idea of the fat content. And of course, chill to almost freezing before grinding.

make sure everything is very cold and grind away, i also use a KA attachment.
use as much fat as u want the end result to be . i vacuum seal it in 1# bags and freeze. i use the large plate.

Reactions: pi guy
A few thing to keep in mind when shopping for sale beef for grinding:
Keep everything cold and don't overwork the meat when grinding, sometimes it's best to single grind...., or double grind through the SAME plate. If you size down the plate for your second grind sometimes your texture will suffer. Also do some coarse grind beef and pork butt for things like chili.
Ground chuck is usually 15% to 20% fat. You can find chuck rolls at places like Sam's club, but you have to ask because they are kept in the walk-in. A chuck roll is 18 to 20 pounds and boneless, they are a good value for grinding.
Ground sirloin and round is usually 10% to 12% fat.
Ground brisket will be 20% + fat.
USDA Select an be an excellent value for grinding. Here are some excellent combinations.

1. 50% brisket - 50% sirloin (or 50% chuck)
2. 50% chuck - 50% sirloin
3. 33% brisket - 33% chuck - 33% sirloin
4. 40% chuck - 40% boneless short ribs - 20% brisket
5. 50% sirloin - 25% chuck - 25% brisket

I have taken eye of the round when its' on sale and thrown it through the grinder with excellent results for burgers on the grill.

Awesome info everyone, thank you! I had read that cold cold cold is key, so I'm hip with that for sure.
Thanks thirdeye for the combos! I'm definitely gonna look for a deal and try to do a batch. I also like the idea of some for chili!
Motocrash I'm intrigued with bacon!!

Reactions: thirdeye
Awesome info everyone, thank you! I had read that cold cold cold is key, so I'm hip with that for sure.
My grinder gets cleaned and lives in the fridge until next go.Any bowls used are also chilled in the fridge. I have found that I get a better mix by grinding separately,throwing each bowl in the fridge until all are done.Then gently mix whilst adding seasonings. It mixes well with it being so cold,like little worms.once mixed well,start squeezing and kneading until just tacky enough to form balls.
Motocrash I'm intrigued with bacon!!
Don't be skeered...

I like to grind my beef for chili with the fine plate, left overs make great chili dogs, for the folks who don't like beans in theirs I throw it in the Ninja blender , no visible beans but a thick rich flavor. Folks never know

I like to grind my beef for chili with the fine plate, left overs make great chili dogs, for the folks who don't like beans in theirs I throw it in the Ninja blender , no visible beans but a thick rich flavor. Folks never know
That's an interesting take on the grind, thanks.

There's a place in Michigan that has a great, unique burger, Red Knapps in Oxford. The patty is looser. Still a cohesive patty but fall-apart loose when you bite into it. I wonder if they double grind on the small blade? I live that texture. Anyways, gonna try this all soon and will post results. Really appreciate everyone's help!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky