Grilling steak on Traeger - avoid "smoked meat" texture?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Suprnova74

Original poster
Jun 17, 2020
This may sound a bit odd, but the Mrs has quite a sensitive texture palate. I got a Traeger last year and I think the results of cooking a steak are great. Just a hint of smoked flavor but the Mrs says she likes how they come out when on a propane grill versus the smoker. I personally can't tell the texture difference with how I cook it. I typically cook it at 450-500 degrees. She keeps saying it has a "smoked meat" texture and isn't as tender. I'm at a loss and hoping some suggestions would be good.

I avoided a reverse sear because she kept saying smoked meat flavor, but I think it's more the texture it's somehow imparting.

I bought fresh 2" or so thick prime New York Strips from Costco today. We'll see if it's well-received. I've got them salted and seasoned and letting them sit at room temp for an hour bfeore throwing them on the grill.

Wish me luck :emoji_sunglasses:

Sorry, late to this. How did it go? I gotta say I’ve never heard of “Smoked meat texture”🤣 But it does sound like something my wife would say!

I was going to recommend searing in a Cast Iron pan first. I have a small gas grill that I’ve used occasionally to sear before putting into Traeger too. I’m no scientist, but I don’t think that texture will be any different at 500 on a Traeger or a gas grill as long as you let chambers hit them first. To get more smoke sometimes I put my steaks in while the Traeger is coming up to temp. I have noticed a different surface texture then if I don’t put a good char at the end.

Anyway, curious how it went? Otherwise it could just be she doesn’t like the smoked flavor and wires are getting crossed that makes it seem like it’s a texture thing?

My wife is similar to your wife. Texture, taste, and aroma all come into her sensory perception of cooked meat.
Neither of us appreciate "grilled" meat from the pellet grill.
Thankfully charcoal grilled beef is in her acceptance range.
Kettles is my best friends

• Haha
Reactions: negolien
Wife prefers propane steaks, I love my Weber Performer and my pellet smoker, cranked up on the pellet is only a very light kiss of smoke , coarse cant have any red/pink in her steak either and after over 37 years I quit trying to change her mind on doneness , sez very much smoke gives her indigestion ,

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
They came out fantastic. Even a huge thumbs up from the mrs. Im wondering if something happens to the steaks when freezing them that bothers her. How do you guys thaw steaks when frozen? Water bath? Fridge for a couple days?

So, the NY's were cooked on the Traeger and the wife love her's. It could be fresh vs frozen especially if the frozen was not vac pak'd first. For a bit more definitive test I'd cook two and have her do a taste test. One fresh and one that had been frozen for 24 hours in a vacuumed bag then thawed (in the bag) on a rack on the counter. I find the grates on our gas stove an excellent place to thaw meat.

Last edited:
I normally thaw in the fridge. But, Al has a lot of us experimenting with cooking it frozen lately! I think a key is making sure they are near room temp when putting them on and making sure the meat surface is dry.

Well yeah that’s strange. “Texture” difference…hmm. Well my wife is very particular about how done a steak is and if it’s another right, she wont touch it (it can’t bleed out any juice-not well done just no juice). (Facepalm)

for consistency and to avoid her not eating, I started to SV the steaks before searing. I have seen better luck with this method.

I just like a very medium rare steak. Why can’t the wife just be like that. Bahahahaha

Reactions: thirdeye
My wife and I like our steaks rare. Almost to the point where you can still see the nerve ends twitching. I use my kettle with as high a heat as I can get and place the meat over the hot coals. Once the meat releases itself from the grate I turn it 45* and repeat. Then I'll do the same on the other side. That's about all the cooking a normal sized super market steak gets. If it's a little thicker then I'll finish it with indirect heat using my insta-read therm.

Chris

Reactions: chopsaw
The texture thing is throwing me a bit. One would think if you are cooking at those high temps whether it’s pellet or gas as heat it would have similar texture. Perhaps you get flare ups on the gas that help better char the outside? Seems as the thread progresses you perhaps identified a textural difference before the meat was grilled?

So, the NY's were cooked on the Traeger and the wife love her's. It could be fresh vs frozen especially if the frozen was not vac pak'd first. For a bit more definitive test I'd cook two and have her do a taste test. One fresh and one that had been frozen for 24 hours in a vacuumed bag then thawed (in the bag) on a rack on the counter. I find the grates on our gas stove an excellent place to thaw meat.
Next time i buy more steaks, I'll give that a spin. I do vac pack them so that shouldn't be it, but i also vac pack pre seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic. I don't think that should matter, but you never know. I may have to do a Guga- style experiment. 4 vac pack frozen, 1 thawed via cold water bath, 1 in fridge, 1 counter, 1 cooked straight from freezer and a control of fresh. I'll have a lot of steak leftovers which is never a bad thing :)
I normally thaw in the fridge. But, Al has a lot of us experimenting with cooking it frozen lately! I think a key is making sure they are near room temp when putting them on and making sure the meat surface is dry.
Yep, i definitely pat dry before cooking
Well yeah that’s strange. “Texture” difference…hmm. Well my wife is very particular about how done a steak is and if it’s another right, she wont touch it (it can’t bleed out any juice-not well done just no juice). (Facepalm)

for consistency and to avoid her not eating, I started to SV the steaks before searing. I have seen better luck with this method.

I just like a very medium rare steak. Why can’t the wife just be like that. Bahahahaha
I have done SV a few times. Not bad, but i need a torch to get the sear on a little better. While my traeger goes up to 500 degrees, it still doesn't sear the best unless i use the "hot spot" at the very front of the grill. Ive also pan seared SV seared with butter and herbs of choice which is a nice change.
My wife and I like our steaks rare. Almost to the point where you can still see the nerve ends twitching. I use my kettle with as high a heat as I can get and place the meat over the hot coals. Once the meat releases itself from the grate I turn it 45* and repeat. Then I'll do the same on the other side. That's about all the cooking a normal sized super market steak gets. If it's a little thicker then I'll finish it with indirect heat using my insta-read therm.

Chris
I like either medium rare to medium. The mrs can take medium to charcoal(well done) . She used to be a charcoal only, but I think I finally got her to medium :) For temp read, i use the Meater probes. They work great.

My oven has a warming drawer which i used this last cook to keep the steaks from getting too cold while resting. Worked great.
The texture thing is throwing me a bit. One would think if you are cooking at those high temps whether it’s pellet or gas as heat it would have similar texture. Perhaps you get flare ups on the gas that help better char the outside? Seems as the thread progresses you perhaps identified a textural difference before the meat was grilled?
Haha indeed. Im literally sitting in my car about to go grocery shopping and keep seeing more messages posted so keep adding quotes. Well im still a bit new to the traeger so i was trying different temps e.t.c. but also the meat is a huge variable. I try to buy from Costco as i find them quite good. But I'll toggle between choice if i find some with pretty good marbling still or prime. The ones last night were prime and crazy marbled almost approaching wagu level imo. As i said earlier, I'll have to do an experiment with thawing and sticking with the cook method of 475 the whole way through to see how they fare.

Reactions: jcam222
Wife dont like boiled meat, tried the SV several times different temps/time , 😭 she still wont toe the line :emoji_laughing:

pan seared
Cast iron pan oven finish makes a pretty good steak .

This is my opinion ,
If you're cooking indirect at that high of a temp I could see where there could be texture difference .

Direct at 500 degrees sears the outside , keeps the good stuff inside .

Sounds like you got it figured out though .

Two things .....you went from frozen choice to fresh thick prime cut..... there is a huge texture difference between the two!

Oh for more well done streaks what chop suggested (a hard sear and oven finish (375 degree) with seasoned butter on top) will yield the most tender results. Almost all the high end places cook them this way... FYI, I’m not a fan of 500 degree pellet grill steaks either. I’m a sear (flame or pan) and finish fan....

Reactions: chopsaw
Here's an example . Both double cut Petite tenders .One pan seared , oven finish . One cooked indirect on a pellet grill .

Pan seared / oven
1649605435532.jpeg

Pellet grill indirect
1649605388582.jpeg

Both good , but completely different . The pan seared oven finished took about half the time to get to the same finish temp .

I do steaks on my T-1300 a lot. I use Grill Grates and get a nice sear. If you're cooking at 400+, I've found the Traeger smoke level is low, so I augment with a smoke tube/tray as needed.

I do have several Lodge cast iron skilletsas well when I want the extra sear 😄. Good luck and keep her happy 🤣🤣.

Everyone's tastes and expectations are a little different. Steak, and ribs are perfect examples. Learning how to please everyone's tastes during the same meal can be a challenge. I'm still working on that. Hehehhhe.

I agree with the suggested sous vide approach and a quick 'color-sear' and see if you can win your wife over with beefy flavor over smoky flavor.

Second would be a final cast iron sear in your smoker or grill. This is just enough to give some live fire flavor, but a pan sear is really good. This Lodge griddle sits in my Big Green Egg and works great.
V0RBzXT.jpg
ihE5NRY.jpg

Two things .....you went from frozen choice to fresh thick prime cut..... there is a huge texture difference between the two!
I may not have written properly as I was on my phone at the time. I have both prime and choice frozen (depending on how subpar the choice looks, i'll grab prime or if it's on sale :) ). With either, I can't seem to get consistent textures.
Here's an example . Both double cut Petite tenders .One pan seared , oven finish . One cooked indirect on a pellet grill .

Pan seared / oven
View attachment 628737
Pellet grill indirect
View attachment 628736

Both good , but completely different . The pan seared oven finished took about half the time to get to the same finish temp .
I'd probably prefer the bottom (getting that awesome smoke color/flavor) but the steaks looked like the top one coming off the pellet grill this past cook. It was very minimal smoke flavor which was good for the Mrs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky