Grilling Ny steak strip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbq dreams

Original poster
May 30, 2017
Wildomar California
Hello my fellow smokers,

Btw yesterday I smoked a spatchcock chicken and a few breast. I smoked them at 275 for an hour and cranked up to 400 for an additional 40 minutes. It was amazingly tender and juicy with a crunchy skin. Just wanted to give thanks for all the information on this blog.

Anyways today I grilled 3 room temperature ny steak strip about 1 inch thick. I grilled them fast and hot for approx 12 to 15 minutes each at difference internal temps.l, 135,150 160. Seasoned with salt and pepper. I've never been able to get tender ny strip. I've tried resting them in the past 5, 10 and even 15 minutes. I've grilled ribeyes very often same way and get good results, I know ny syeaks are lean cuts however I've had these in restaurants and they are tender and juicy. Any ideas. Should I try slow and low then reverse sear? Brines? Thanks in advance.

Try A KC Strip next time. Much better steak.

Just kidding. :emoji_blush:

Too long over the fire, I cook them on a Smokey Joe (smallest Weber) with a full chimney of fully lit briquettes for no more than 3.5 minutes a side.
The wife insists we let them cool off before eating but cold steak sends chills down my spine.
I would rather lose the juices and eat hot meat myself.

In addition to pulling at a lower IT, I also will dry brine, uncovered and on a rack overnight with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. For a leaner cut like Strip, this seems to add some additional juiciness to the meat.

Anything over 130 is a Crime Against Meat!! :emoji_laughing: I like mine very rare so usually pull around 120-122 and rest for a for minutes.

In addition to pulling at a lower IT, I also will dry brine, uncovered and on a rack overnight with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. For a leaner cut like Strip, this seems to add some additional juiciness to the meat.

What he said, plenty of kosher salt and at least an hour sitting on the counter top before cooking.

if you have a sous vide, try SVing them for 2-6 hours first at 131, then VERY quickly sear or chill in refer and grill to 120-125.

Your answer has already been covered above... But I will comment about the quality of the beef you start with will make a significant difference as well. To my taste a strip steak it is much more noticeable in the grade of the beef. Do a taste test yourself with a select vs choice or prime. Also grass fed vs corn fed.

I agree with all of the above, lower IT, better grade of meat (if it’s within your budget), if not then SV, then sear.
Al

All great stuff so far and agree main issue IT too high but also, dry brine needs to be longer like a few days especially for thick cuts. I also like to rest them a few beers (half hour or longer) :emoji_laughing: parked in the oven set 170F.

Jake as well as the rest of the folks hit the nail on the head. You're cooking them to way too high a temp. You'll see a huge difference pulling then in the mid 120's versus 160. That's not cooked, it's torched :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Hello my fellow smokers,

Btw yesterday I smoked a spatchcock chicken and a few breast. I smoked them at 275 for an hour and cranked up to 400 for an additional 40 minutes. It was amazingly tender and juicy with a crunchy skin. Just wanted to give thanks for all the information on this blog.

Anyways today I grilled 3 room temperature ny steak strip about 1 inch thick. I grilled them fast and hot for approx 12 to 15 minutes each at difference internal temps.l, 135,150 160. Seasoned with salt and pepper. I've never been able to get tender ny strip. I've tried resting them in the past 5, 10 and even 15 minutes. I've grilled ribeyes very often same way and get good results, I know ny syeaks are lean cuts however I've had these in restaurants and they are tender and juicy. Any ideas. Should I try slow and low then reverse sear? Brines? Thanks in advance.

I pretty much stopped buying all steaks around here, except Ribeye.
I always get "Choice" and I got sick & tired of tough NY Strip, T-Bone, and Porterhouse!!
If I do get any of them I will drop them in my SV for a long Bath!!
PS: And I never go above 140° IT.

Bear

Thank you everyone for taking the time to give me your input. I will try many of the tips I learned here and report back next time I grill some ny steaks.

Bringing a beautiful piece of beef to 160 is sacrilege!. 😄 119 deg. For me. And I don't eat anything but ribeye, but that just me. Best flavor with good tenderness.

Corey

NY strip is just about the only steak I buy these days, but I get the whole strip and cut my own steaks. Be aware that if you are buying precut NY's from a supermarket, they will almost always include at least one vein steak - these are the steaks on the far end of the strip that have lots of tough gristle and connective tissue. When I cut my own, I save those pieces for burger grind. I usually buy the whole strips from Costco - either choice or prime.

I do like to reverse sear, but as sandyut suggests, SVing them at 131F for a few hours and then searing works very well too. And yes, never go past medium with a lean steak - rare to medium rare is best.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky