Grilling Frozen Steaks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BuckeyeSteve

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
I had someone tell me that he grills his steaks frozen, and they turn out perfect.
I've never heard of this. I would think it would develop a pretty good crust while waiting to bring up the internal temp. Although you probably can't season your meat initially.

Has anyone done this? Whats your thoughts on this?

Some folks like the cold red center,I aint 1, I like warm or hot pink center, everybody is different,

Reactions: MJB05615
I've never tried it, but have heard from a few friends that love it. My personal opinion is I like steaks that were never frozen. We get them as needed 1-2 days prior to cooking, so they can be seasoned and cooked fresher than from frozen. I feel the texture and flavoring is better from non frozen. Just my personal preference.

Reactions: jmtyndall
I've never tried it, but have heard from a few friends that love it. My personal opinion is I like steaks that were never frozen. We get them as needed 1-2 days prior to cooking, so they can be seasoned and cooked fresher than from frozen. I feel the texture and flavoring is better from non frozen. Just my personal preference.
Totally this. Frozen meat just...loses something. Salmon is a great example. Beautiful fillets get all mushy and cracked when thawed.

On top of that, if you freeze it yourself instead of flash-freezing like they do for the super markets then you cause even more cell damage and they get really mushy. gross

Reactions: MJB05615
I have done it. Once. I thought I posted on a thread in the past, but couldn't find it with the search feature. I watched YouTube videos and comparisons, thinking there might be something to it. They claimed the meat was juicier grilling frozen steaks compared to thawed or never frozen ones.

I tried it the one time with either frozen ribeyes or Cowboy steaks because that's about all we bought until recently. The result? The meat was definitely juicier, but with a watery taste, not a fatty juice. Tasted kinda metallic, too. Plus, I didn't care for the texture at all.

I generally grill meat that I haven't frozen, but when ribeyes and prime ribs are on sale, I'll stock the freezer. Then I thaw them in the fridge over several days before throwing them on the grill. I dry brine those steaks which more than makes up for the freezing.

Try grilling a frozen steak...once. You might learn something. I did.

Last edited:
Doesn't even remotely sound like a good idea. Glad to have never succumbed to this poor excuse for not having time to do it correctly.

I have done it. Once. I thought I posted on a thread in the past, but couldn't find it with the search feature. I watched YouTube videos and comparisons, thinking there might be something to it. They claimed the meat was juicier grilling frozen steaks compared to thawed or never thawed ones.

I tried it the one time with either frozen ribeyes or Cowboy steaks because that's about all we bought until recently. The result? The meat was definitely juicier, but with a watery taste, not a fatty juice. Tasted kinda metallic, too. Plus, I didn't care for the texture at all.

I generally grill meat that I haven't frozen, but when ribeyes and prime ribs are on sale, I'll stock the freezer. Then I thaw them in the fridge over several days before throwing them on the grill. I dry brine those steaks which more than makes up for the freezing.

Try grilling a frozen steak...once. You might learn something. I did.

I think I remember you posting that and it was okay but it didn't blow me away enough to try it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky