Grilled Tuna and Brussels Sprouts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jayd4wg

Original poster
Jun 8, 2020
Pittsburgh PA
This one was a huge hit last night.
20200614_190326.jpg

Marinade for the tuna (from ALDI, it's on sale this week) was:
1/2 cup tamari (or soy sauce)
2 Tbls sesame oil
1 Tbls minced garlic
1 finely chopped green onion
2 Tbls brown sugar

Add everything to a gallon zip-lock and agitate until sugar is dissolved, then put the tuna fillets in, evacuate the air in the bag, and let rest in fridge for at least 4 hours. I did 12 hours.

Brussels were prepared by slicing in half, placed on a sheet pan and generously salted about 3 hours before cooking. They then got added to a screaming hot cast iron pan on the side burner of my Char-Griller Duo with a bit of olive oil. After they got a few minutes of searing, i moved them over to the gas grill on the upper rack to finish, I later added about 1/4 cup of the tuna marinade.
20200614_184722.jpg

Tuna was placed on HOT grates to get good sear marks and turned a couple times during cooking to help the sear marks and to cook through. My wife and kids don't like rare tuna, and I don't dislike tuna cooked fully...so this round I didn't cook mine shorter than theirs.

20200614_184720.jpg 20200614_185640.jpg
20200614_190259.jpg

Mango Salsa:

2 Mangos, seeded and diced
1/2 small red onion finely diced
1/2 red pepper finely diced
1 jalapeno, de-veined, seeded and finely diced
juice of 1 orange
juice of 1 lemon

combine all in a bowl and mix well, add 1/2 tsp salt and let it sit in the fridge to get happy. I made this about an hour before starting the grill.

The rice is just Uncle Bens Microwave rice, teriyaki flavor.

Last edited:
smokerjim smokerjim you'll like it. when you grill it well done, it resembles flaky pork. Cooked to medium rare is my favorite way to have it though. This was my first time grilling it in quite a while. Usually, this gets cooked inside, completely covered in black sesame seeds and seared in a non stick skillet.

Very nice! It all looks great and the recipes are an added bonus. Big like all around! I grill tuna all the time but my family likes it rare and sliced over top of a salad.

Reactions: jayd4wg
Very nice! It all looks great and the recipes are an added bonus. Big like all around! I grill tuna all the time but my family likes it rare and sliced over top of a salad.
Ditto. I cook it over a chimney with red hot coals, some previous soy-based marinade and coated with sesame seeds (a la Alton Brown, worth looking that up)

Reactions: jayd4wg
this also has me looking for other good grilling fish. I'm just not a fan of salmon, unless it's smoked or coated in dijon and brown sugar, tossed in a 450 oven for 10-13 minutes.

Ditto. I cook it over a chimney with red hot coals, some previous soy-based marinade and coated with sesame seeds (a la Alton Brown, worth looking that up)
Alton Brown has inspired a lot of my culinary adventures. You gotta look up Sam the Cooking Guy - he has a recipe for thick bone in pork chops that is outta this world. Marinade is just Soy Sauce, brown sugar, brown beer, and ginger.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky