Grilled Pollo Tapatio With Refried Beans & Salsa Rice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Damn Jake that looks awesome man! I would tear that up! I love the salsa as well the flavor is spot on with a nice little kick to it. Big like!

Damn Jake that looks awesome man! I would tear that up! I love the salsa as well the flavor is spot on with a nice little kick to it. Big like!
Appreciate it bud. Salsa was definitely a hit here. Wife thought it would be blazing hot lol. It's not. Perfect spice. Adding it in to cook with the rice was delicious. Thanks for the like

Just awesome Jake! Been waiting for your post, heard you mention of a big cook on Sunday night...and you did not disappoint! It all looked delicious.

Ryan

Just awesome Jake! Been waiting for your post, heard you mention of a big cook on Sunday night...and you did not disappoint! It all looked delicious.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan. Made for a long day of gathering ingredients in zombieland. Then making salsa and moving on to supper. Appreciate the compliment

Dang it Jake! Looks great. Almost makes me want to get a Chihuahua. We recently put our dog down so kind of lonely going home without him there waiting inside.

Morning fellas and non fellas. Was in the mood for Mexican food yesterday. We aren't eating out still. Wanted something different than tacos or fajitas so landed on these.

Started the day off making up a batch of tx smoker tx smoker salsa. Not many pics but he has a great thread on it
View attachment 453859
Roma's and purple onions on the smoker getting some smoke then bumped up the temp for a little char. And the finished product. Robert you nailed the flavor bud. Stuffs absolutely delicious and I'll be keeping some on hand
View attachment 453860View attachment 453861
Later on got to work on the meal. Put my Lodge griddle on my smoker and started off with some bacon
View attachment 453862
While this was going wife started on refried beans. 2 cans of pintos drained and mashed. Little dusting of tajin classico seasoning and a tablespoon of hot sauce. Topped with quesadilla cheese and into the oven
View attachment 453865
Got a little done but was my fault as supper ended up 30min late. Beans were still creamy and delicious.
After bacon finished I threw on some onions and shrooms
View attachment 453866
While this simmered wife started the salsa rice. She used a cup of long grain and started by toasting in a skillet with olive oil until it gets some color. Then follow normal steps....water, chicken paste and a half cup of tx smoker tx smoker salsa. Cook until done. Rice was amazing
View attachment 453867
Onions and shrooms almost ready so threw the chicken cutlets on the grill surrounding the griddle. Rubbed with Tajin classico and I basted with some Cabo Wabo tequila and some fresh lime
View attachment 453870
When chicken reached 155 I spread out onions and shrooms and placed chicken on top of them on the griddle. Covered with quesadilla cheese and cotija cheese. Crumbled all the bacon on top and let it all melt
View attachment 453873
After the melt
View attachment 453874
Got all cut up and ready for some tortillas
View attachment 453875
And my plate
View attachment 453876
Meal turned out delicious as heck. Exactly what I wanted. And had a few margaritas which didn't hurt anything either....well maybe my liver

That's an amazing meal Jake!

I got an experiment for you that will throw your Tex/Mex and Mexican cooking into high gear and is super simple.

Take a skillet it put it on your stove burner on high. Throw a flour tortilla in it and warm up the tortilla BUT make sure the tortilla gets a little crispy on both sides.
"A little crispy" meaning where you can still bend and fold it but it begins to crack a little but NOT split and break up.

Throw some butter in one, roll it up and try it out (butter is just for extra fun).

You will notice that you have now cooked out all off/plastic/Styrofoam flavors from your tortillas and they have amazing flavor u want with your tortillas. If you make homemade u dont have to do this but the store bought ones it is mandatory in my household to warm them this way :)

Let me know if u give this a shot and what you think :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky