Grilled Pollo Tapatio With Refried Beans & Salsa Rice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TNJAKE

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 26, 2019
Ridgetop TN🇺🇸
Morning fellas and non fellas. Was in the mood for Mexican food yesterday. We aren't eating out still. Wanted something different than tacos or fajitas so landed on these.

Started the day off making up a batch of tx smoker tx smoker salsa. Not many pics but he has a great thread on it
IMG_20200712_140634.jpg

Roma's and purple onions on the smoker getting some smoke then bumped up the temp for a little char. And the finished product. Robert you nailed the flavor bud. Stuffs absolutely delicious and I'll be keeping some on hand
IMG_20200712_154328.jpg
IMG_20200712_154337.jpg

Later on got to work on the meal. Put my Lodge griddle on my smoker and started off with some bacon
IMG_20200712_190138.jpg

While this was going wife started on refried beans. 2 cans of pintos drained and mashed. Little dusting of tajin classico seasoning and a tablespoon of hot sauce. Topped with quesadilla cheese and into the oven
IMG_20200712_200221.jpg

Got a little done but was my fault as supper ended up 30min late. Beans were still creamy and delicious.
After bacon finished I threw on some onions and shrooms
IMG_20200712_191631.jpg

While this simmered wife started the salsa rice. She used a cup of long grain and started by toasting in a skillet with olive oil until it gets some color. Then follow normal steps....water, chicken paste and a half cup of tx smoker tx smoker salsa. Cook until done. Rice was amazing
IMG_20200712_200227.jpg

Onions and shrooms almost ready so threw the chicken cutlets on the grill surrounding the griddle. Rubbed with Tajin classico and I basted with some Cabo Wabo tequila and some fresh lime
IMG_20200712_192824.jpg

When chicken reached 155 I spread out onions and shrooms and placed chicken on top of them on the griddle. Covered with quesadilla cheese and cotija cheese. Crumbled all the bacon on top and let it all melt
IMG_20200712_195545~2.jpg

After the melt
IMG_20200712_200215.jpg

Got all cut up and ready for some tortillas
IMG_20200712_200249.jpg

And my plate
IMG_20200712_201529.jpg

Meal turned out delicious as heck. Exactly what I wanted. And had a few margaritas which didn't hurt anything either....well maybe my liver

Last edited:
HOLY SMOKES JAKE!! That is one of the most delicious looking Mexican meals I think I've ever seen. A lot of steps but it sure looks like it was well worth the time to turn out such an amazing meal.

Cannot tell you how much I appreciate the kind words regarding the salsa. It's not really difficult or time consuming to make but we love the stuff!! Did you wind up putting vinegar in it? You mentioned that at one point but we found that it wasn't needed for our tastes.

Big LIKE!!
Robert

HOLY SMOKES JAKE!! That is one of the most delicious looking Mexican meals I think I've ever seen. A lot of steps but it sure looks like it was well worth the time to turn out such an amazing meal.

Cannot tell you how much I appreciate the kind words regarding the salsa. It's not really difficult or time consuming to make but we love the stuff!! Did you wind up putting vinegar in it? You mentioned that at one point but we found that it wasn't needed for our tastes.

Big LIKE!!
Robert
Thanks Robert it was a tasty meal. Wife said best ever but she often says that so don't really know if she's just being nice or if it actually was the best lol. Either way I'll take it. No vinegar in the salsa. Stuck 100% to your recipe. After tasting it I think vinegar would have messed it up. Delicious stuff. Thanks for the like bud

Man that looks good! I'm starving now. Planning on making some of Roberts salsa this week sometime.
Nice team work on that meal with your wife. Mexican meals are always a pleaser at our house!

Wow Jake that looks fantastic! That is one great looking meal!

I'm not a tequila drinker but I used to buy a friend some Cabo Wabo as a gift. It's not cheap stuff! I wonder if Sammy Hagar heard a "ka-ching!" each time you used the basting brush?

Man that looks good! I'm starving now. Planning on making some of Roberts salsa this week sometime.
Nice team work on that meal with your wife. Mexican meals are always a pleaser at our house!
Thanks bud. Salsa is delicious and easy to make. And yep teamwork makes the dream work lol

Wow Jake that looks fantastic! That is one great looking meal!

I'm not a tequila drinker but I used to buy a friend some Cabo Wabo as a gift. It's not cheap stuff! I wonder if Sammy Hagar heard a "ka-ching!" each time you used the basting brush?
Thanks Joe. I'm not a big tequila drinker either but figured if I was gonna use it on chicken and have some margaritas I may as well get some good stuff

Boy howdy Jake, talk about knocking one out of the park, you cleared the fences by a mile! That's as fine a Mexican meal as I've ever seen assembled, huge Like! RAY

Boy howdy Jake, talk about knocking one out of the park, you cleared the fences by a mile! That's as fine a Mexican meal as I've ever seen assembled, huge Like! RAY
Thanks ray it was a long cook lol. Delicious and worth it though. And the bonus is I have tequila so guess I'll have some more margaritas today....and tomorrow...and well you see where this is going

That there is a Rick Bayless type of meal.
Tapati'o is a staple in this household even though I live on the salsa trail here in the southwest. Jake you definitely have a knack of incorporating ingredients and turning out some fantastic looking meals.

That there is a Rick Bayless type of meal.
Tapati'o is a staple in this household even though I live on the salsa trail here in the southwest. Jake you definitely have a knack of incorporating ingredients and turning out some fantastic looking meals.
Appreciate Bob. I'm definitely enjoying playing around with some recipes. This was definitely a delicious meal with tons of different flavors

Looks incredible Jake! Once again you have overwhelmed us. Nice work!

Mike

Dang Jake, you could open up a Mexican restaurant!
I’d eat there every night!
Course I LOVE Mexican food!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky