Grilled Greek Chicken Gyro's w pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I posted a thread a couple weeks ago of some chicken I had marinated with Greek inspired flavors and served it with a nice Greek salad. Well that turned out so well and the family loved it so much they requested to have it again. This time I wanted to do something just a little bit different.

Started out with a couple pounds of chicken breasts and threw them in the marinade for a couple of hours. Sorry for the crap picture I forgot to get one inside and was grilling at night but you get the picture.

gyro1.jpg

In case you missed the last post here is the marinade that I came up with.

1 cup greek yogurt
3/4 cup olive oil
6 TBS lemon juice
6 TBS dried oregano
6 TSP minced garlic
2 TSP black pepper
Pinch of dill

Reserve a cup or so of the marinade before adding to the chicken and baste every time that you flip the chicken.
gyro2.jpg

Getting close it almost starts forming a crust.
gyro3.jpg

All the fixin's ready to put together.
gyro4.jpg

Greek dressing compliments of Jeff jcam222 jcam222 . Doubled the recipe up.

½ cup olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 lemon juiced
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves minced
½ tsp oregano
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper

gyro5.jpg

Put everything together and add some tzatziki on the "gyro".
gyro6.jpg

Close her up and we are ready to eat!
gyro7.jpg

All in all this meal turned out fantastic. We really like all the flavors. I might dial back on the lemon juice just a little bit but everyone else said to leave it alone so I am good with that. Thanks for looking. Stay safe out there.

John

Attachments

• gyro4.jpg
    gyro4.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 5
Gosh that greek chicken and the salad sure look great John! The colors just jump right off the plate too. I sure could go for some of that.

That looks fantastic! I love gyros. Next time we have them I'll try your marinade on some chicken. How do you think it would work on other meats? I have some lamb in the freezer.

I can't recall ever having a gyro John, but as colorful and tasty as that looks I'd be thrilled to be bellying up to that Greek burrito, big Like! RAY

Man...those tacos look great John but I'd tear that salad up too!! Love all the pepperoncini peppers on it. I could sit down and eat those things by the jar full. Heck, you could just pile a bunch of cured meats on the salad, call it an antipasto, and make a meal out of it. you could do that and just give me all the chicken gyros though and I'd be happy....very happy. Excellent looking meal my friend.

Robert

Looks super tasty!! Those are all flavors we love. Glad you like the dressing. We use it fairly often

Gosh that greek chicken and the salad sure look great John! The colors just jump right off the plate too. I sure could go for some of that.

Thanks Joe appreciate it man! Give it a shot sometime pretty easily put together.

That looks fantastic! I love gyros. Next time we have them I'll try your marinade on some chicken. How do you think it would work on other meats? I have some lamb in the freezer.

Thanks Travis! I would love to do these traditionally with lamb but haven't seen a rack in the stores for awhile. The marinade has a lot of acidity in it due to the lemon juice not sure how it would go on that but I would sure give it a try!

Reactions: Sowsage
I can't recall ever having a gyro John, but as colorful and tasty as that looks I'd be thrilled to be bellying up to that Greek burrito, big Like! RAY

Thanks Ray! I used Pita bread but sure could have wrapped it up into a burrito! I bet that chicken using your vortex would give it a nice crust on there.

Man...those tacos look great John but I'd tear that salad up too!! Love all the pepperoncini peppers on it. I could sit down and eat those things by the jar full. Heck, you could just pile a bunch of cured meats on the salad, call it an antipasto, and make a meal out of it. you could do that and just give me all the chicken gyros though and I'd be happy....very happy. Excellent looking meal my friend.

Robert

Thank you Robert appreciate it! I am the same with the pepperoncini could just eat a jar full of them. Maybe you could re-create this with turkey or something of the sorts. But man that greek salad with Jeff's dressing is off the charts. Could eat it with dinner every night.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky