Grilled Double Smoked Ham & Cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA
Grilled Double Smoked Ham & Cheese

I have always loved Grilled Cheese Sammies.
Let’s bump that up by making some Grilled “Ham” and Cheese Sammies!!
Then let’s take it over the top, by Making it “Grilled Double-Smoked-Ham & Cheese Sammies”!!

So I’ll show you how I do it:
#1. First I Butter the inside of the Bread.
#2. Then I put a slice of Cheese on each slice of bread (I stagger the slices, because my Italian Bread is bigger than my Cheese)
#3. Then I put a layer of Ham on one side of each Sammy.
#4. Then I close it up, and butter the outside of one side of the Sammy.
#5. Then I put the buttered side of the Sammy down, in a hot pan, and butter the other side.
#6. Just keep flipping it carefully until it gets to the color I like on both sides.

There you have it—Eat & Enjoy!

Thanks Guys!

Bear

First I Buttered the inside sides of the slices of Bread:
IMG_5107.jpg

Add 2 slices of American Cheese in each Sammy, staggering the cheese because my Italian Bread is bigger than my Cheese:
IMG_5108.jpg

Then I put a layer of Ham on one side of each Sammy.
IMG_5109.jpg

Then I close it up, and butter the outside of one side of the Sammy:
IMG_5110.jpg

Then I put the buttered side of the Sammy down, in a hot pan, and butter the other side:
IMG_5111.jpg

Just keep flipping it carefully until it gets to the color you like on both sides:
IMG_5112.jpg

Golden Brown is My favorite color on these:
IMG_5113.jpg

Bear's Supper:
IMG_5114.jpg

WOW BEAR!! You just hit a happy note with me sir. My mom loved grilled cheese as did I but when I was very young, I started making exactly what you've made here. Have not even thought about them in years....but I'm thinking about them now :emoji_wink: My favorites were right after Christmas when we always had leftover REAL salt cured Smithfield ham to use on the sammies. That was a rare treat but God I loved those things!! Great job and thanks for sharing

Robert

Grilled cheese was my favorite comfort food growing up. I had it many a day along with some soup. Yours looks good kicked up a notch with ham.

Nicely done Bear!

I too have added ham (and other meats) to grilled cheese for years, makes it a bit more filling.

And you can't beat it dunked into a bowl of soup on a cold day either.... :emoji_wink:

LIKE!

John

Awesome Bear!!! I eat a TON of grilled cheese sandwiches...some just cheese, some with ham or turkey, some with sliced tomato.

But there’s just something comforting about them, especially with a bowl of tomato or chicken soup.

Very nice!

Looks really good Bear, add a bowl of tomato soup and I'm in heaven.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks exactly the way I like these! I've done this over the years too. Excellent eating. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Grilled ham and cheese got me through college, though it didn't look nearly this good and the ingredients certainly weren't as high quality!

Great sandwich . I bet the double smoked ham was fantastic .

Thank You Rich!!
Yup--My Double Smoked Ham takes it over the top!
And Thanks for the Like.

John

WOW BEAR!! You just hit a happy note with me sir. My mom loved grilled cheese as did I but when I was very young, I started making exactly what you've made here. Have not even thought about them in years....but I'm thinking about them now :emoji_wink: My favorites were right after Christmas when we always had leftover REAL salt cured Smithfield ham to use on the sammies. That was a rare treat but God I loved those things!! Great job and thanks for sharing

Robert

Thank You Robert!!
I know what you mean. Back in the day, I usually ate 2 Sammies of nearly anything, but it took At Least 3 Grilled Cheese to make me quit! That & Hot Dogs.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

looks tasty bear, I ate tons of grilled cheese in my life, don't tell anyone though I like ketchup on mine.

Grilled cheese was my favorite comfort food growing up. I had it many a day along with some soup. Yours looks good kicked up a notch with ham.

Thank You !!
And Thanks for the Like!
See below on the soup:

Bear

Nicely done Bear!

I too have added ham (and other meats) to grilled cheese for years, makes it a bit more filling.

And you can't beat it dunked into a bowl of soup on a cold day either.... :emoji_wink:

LIKE!

John

Thank You John!!!
Yup---Without the meat, Grilled cheese just disappear, one after another!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

And About the "Soup".
I used to love soup with my Grilled Cheese, and with other things.
However, after my Open Heart fiasco, I had to change that;
After spending 25 days in the hospital, I finally came home. It was in the afternoon by the time I got home, and I was hungry, but I didn't want to try anything too solid yet, so I opted for a big bowl of Campbell's Soup. I had one slice of toast with that soup.
Then at about 7PM that evening, I was having trouble breathing, and it just kept getting worse. I couldn't lay back on my recliner---I had to sit straight up or lean forward. It got to the point that I was gasping for air, so Mrs Bear called the Ambulance. Believe me it was really hard for me to call an ambulance, after 25 days in the hospital, and begging my Doctors to let me go home. The ambulance guys had to take me out sitting up on the stretcher, because I couldn't breath in the laying down position. Then on the way to the hospital they put a big oxygen mask on me, and I could finally breath better & could lay down & breath.
So they did some tests, and put me right back on a big dose of "Lasik" to get rid of all the extra water in my body & lungs. (Congested Heart Failure)
They asked me what I ate after leaving the Hospital, and I told them, "Just a Bowl of soup".
They all looked at each other & snickered, and replied a Chorus of "That was it!!!" "Canned Soup is about the worst food out there for having Too Much SODIUM"
So maybe if somebody could make a homemade soup with Low Sodium, but I no longer eat Canned Soup!! I did a search, and I couldn't find one Can of soup anywhere made with low sodium.
So I spent 3 more days in the hospital, after that, to make it a total of 28 days, and ever since that I've been more careful of my Sodium intake!!

Bear

Wow Bear that sounds awful.

We started a low sodium diet (DASH) last Jan and have been making a lot of our own soups as well as other stuff like spaghetti sauce, etc.

We use low sodium broth as the base for our soups. I can PM you some recipes if you are interested.

John

Wow Bear that sounds awful.

We started a low sodium diet (DASH) last Jan and have been making a lot of our own soups as well as other stuff like spaghetti sauce, etc.

We use low sodium broth as the base for our soups. I can PM you some recipes if you are interested.

John

It sure wouldn't hurt for me to look at a couple. The only problem we have is with fresh Veggies during this Pandemic, but I'd like to see if we could handle making our own. How do we know how much sodium is in them though?

Thanks John!
Bear

There are some out there that are labeled "low sodium" but I suspect they still have too much.

I did find this if it helps:
https://www.everydayhealth.com/diet-and-nutrition/canned-soups-broths-stocks-under-500mg-sodium/

Great Link, Norm---Thanks!
I chased a bunch of them on there & I bookmarked a couple @ 410 mg per cup, instead of 900mg per cup.
Next time I make another Walmart order I'm going to try some, if they aren't "Out of Stock".

Thanks again!

Bear

Reactions: MJB05615
Thank You !!
And Thanks for the Like!
See below on the soup:

Bear

Thank You John!!!
Yup---Without the meat, Grilled cheese just disappear, one after another!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

And About the "Soup".
I used to love soup with my Grilled Cheese, and with other things.
However, after my Open Heart fiasco, I had to change that;
After spending 25 days in the hospital, I finally came home. It was in the afternoon by the time I got home, and I was hungry, but I didn't want to try anything too solid yet, so I opted for a big bowl of Campbell's Soup. I had one slice of toast with that soup.
Then at about 7PM that evening, I was having trouble breathing, and it just kept getting worse. I couldn't lay back on my recliner---I had to sit straight up or lean forward. It got to the point that I was gasping for air, so Mrs Bear called the Ambulance. Believe me it was really hard for me to call an ambulance, after 25 days in the hospital, and begging my Doctors to let me go home. The ambulance guys had to take me out sitting up on the stretcher, because I couldn't breath in the laying down position. Then on the way to the hospital they put a big oxygen mask on me, and I could finally breath better & could lay down & breath.
So they did some tests, and put me right back on a big dose of "Lasik" to get rid of all the extra water in my body & lungs. (Congested Heart Failure)
They asked me what I ate after leaving the Hospital, and I told them, "Just a Bowl of soup".
They all looked at each other & snickered, and replied a Chorus of "That was it!!!" "Canned Soup is about the worst food out there for having Too Much SODIUM"
So maybe if somebody could make a homemade soup with Low Sodium, but I no longer eat Canned Soup!! I did a search, and I couldn't find one Can of soup anywhere made with low sodium.
So I spent 3 more days in the hospital, after that, to make it a total of 28 days, and ever since that I've been more careful of my Sodium intake!!

Bear
Wow, that's awful. I had to cut out most salt when I was in my 20's due to high blood pressure, overweight, etc. I never knew canned soup had so much sodium. I only have it 1-2 times per year, if that. My wife makes homemade soups 1-2 times per month, never adds salt, she's got HBP too, not as bad as I, but it's still worth noting. We stopped adding salt to all of our cooking 30 years ago. Glad you ended up OK. Thanks for this invaluable info.

Mike

Awesome Bear!!! I eat a TON of grilled cheese sandwiches...some just cheese, some with ham or turkey, some with sliced tomato.

But there’s just something comforting about them, especially with a bowl of tomato or chicken soup.

Very nice!

Thank You Xray!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky