1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Grilla Grills (and others)

Discussion in 'Kamado Cookers' started by SparkyBD, Mar 21, 2019.

1. SparkyBD

SparkyBD Newbie

Has anyone ever cooked on one of the round Grilla grills before? It looks fantastic. But I'm also tossing around the Rec Tec Bull, a Kamado Joe, or a Primo Oval XL. I only want to buy one grill for now. Been researching for two weeks and the more I read the more I can't make up my mind. I have never smoked meat in my life. Ribs is about as far as I've gone (baked in the oven, finished on a propane grill). I typically just cook burgers and steaks, but want to branch out. Ideally I will cook a bulk of food for the week. Help a man decide!!

Attached Files:

2. SunnyDC

SunnyDC Smoke Blower

Smart folks on here will sure give you the 411, so I'm just saying hi & welcome. You've come to the right place. But expect to find yourself with a huuuuuuge new addiction! Have fun. :)

SparkyBD likes this.
  3. Well two are pellet grills and two are ceramic cookers. They are two very different methods of smoking. First you need to decide which method you want. Pellet grills are much more straightforward, push a couple buttons and you're smoking at your desired temperature. Ceramic cookers will take a little effort and time to get your temperatures.

Walchit likes this.
  4. SparkyBD

SparkyBD Newbie

I feel I know them both romantically now. That's why I can't decide. If I can do it all on ceramic, I suppose that's the way I'd go .

5. drunkenmeatfist

drunkenmeatfist Smoking Fanatic

A ceramic grill will do much better at actual grilling. You will be able to jack it up to get super high heat to sear steak. Of course you can also smoke on a ceramic grill as well, but depending on personal preference you might choose to smoke on a pellet grill instead. There are really a bunch of factors to guide your decision. Ease of use, primary use (smoking or grilling), fuel preference, etc. Of the options you listed I would probably choose the Primo due to the ease of getting an indirect setup compared to other kamados. But that is just one guys opinion.

SparkyBD likes this.
  6. retfr8flyr

retfr8flyr Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

How much will you be grilling, as opposed to smoking? Both types smoke meats very well, with the pellet giving a lighter, cleaner flavor then charcoal. For higher temp grilling the pellet grill just can't compete with a Kamado grill. I think having a pellet grill and a Kamado grill is the perfect combination to cook anything you could want. If you can only have one grill then I would go for a Kamado and the Kamado Joe is hard to beat.