Grill Fire on the Weber SmokeFire

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BXMurphy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 12, 2022
Methuen, Massachusetts
My SmokeFire caught fire today. 🔥

I cranked it up to 600° F and let it run there for 10-15 minutes to bake off the remnants of the last cook. Everything seemed normal until I opened the cover and it just erupted. Which is nice.

It was pretty neat but I have to tell you, there was a bit of a panic in me for a bit.

I can check THIS off my list! :emoji_astonished:

20230226_161304_remastered.jpg

Murph

I had my Genesis 310 do that because I didn't keep it clean . Now I do .
That Smokefire at 600 is a blast furnace . You could forge metal on it .

No kidding, huh?!! Man!! ... Wow!

I've cleaned it once after about a dozen cooks. Since I always use a drip pan, there's never really much grease at the bottom of the pit but maybe some splatter here and there... just mostly ash.

I think it was the reused drip pan which I will now faithfully swap out after each cook.

SmokeFires are known for fires. Thank you and everyone for reminding cookers of the importance of keeping things clean.

Murph

Reactions: JLeonard
Yep the fresh air can make it exciting lol, I can make my pitboss blow up by leaving the lid down when lighting, I don't recommend it but it only scares folks the first time

No kidding, huh?!! Man!! ... Wow!

I've cleaned it once after about a dozen cooks. Since I always use a drip pan, there's never really much grease at the bottom of the pit but maybe some splatter here and there... just mostly ash.

I think it was the reused drip pan which I will now faithfully swap out after each cook.

SmokeFires are known for fires. Thank you and everyone for reminding cookers of the importance of keeping things clean.

Murph
Smokefire owner for almost 3 years now. Your statement about SF known for fires is somewhat misleading. Anytime you have a grease accumulation due to lack of cleaning of ANY grill you have the possibility of a fire. These things don't just erupt into a fireball at anytime.

Smokefire owner for almost 3 years now. Your statement about SF known for fires is somewhat misleading. Anytime you have a grease accumulation due to lack of cleaning of ANY grill you have the possibility of a fire. These things don't just erupt into a fireball at anytime.

Yeah, you're probably right...

In my (over-)reseach there were a just a handful of design flaws that kept coming up and fires was one of them. And, the "work-around" was simply keeping them clean - which I did not do.

Now, 600° F is screaming hot and well past the smoke point of a LOT of things. Grease and wood (570° on the low end?) among them. If you don't clean them out, they are going to do what they are supposed to do: catch fire.

My bad. Good catch on your end. Thanks!

Murph

Anything above 400 on a pellet is screaming hot in my book.... I always do a full clean before venturing up that high, then make sure its clear of the house and then let the excess smoke burn off before I open it up.... I have run my RT up to 720 or so....that is crazy hot......

Anything above 400 on a pellet is screaming hot in my book.... I always do a full clean before venturing up that high, then make sure its clear of the house and then let the excess smoke burn off before I open it up.... I have run my RT up to 720 or so....that is crazy hot......

Now THAT'S nuts! :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Murph

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky