Griddle top is peeling

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeye02

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 26, 2020
Ohio
Hey guys, I have a blue rhino griddle. Got it this summer from my grandparents because they bought it a few years ago used it twice and didn't like it. So they let it sit on there porch for a few years with no use. Anyhow I brought it home took a wire wheel on the drill cleaned all the rust off and re seasoned it. I've used it a few times a week all summer. This morning when I went out to use it all of the seasoning thats been done to the top this summer is flaking off and it's back down to bare metal. Does anyone know what could have caused this? I always let it cool down after each use wipe it off and then put a thin coat of olive oil over the top once it's cooled off.

Attachments

• 20211030_110600.jpg
    20211030_110600.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 73
You haven’t properly seasoned it .

whatever oil you use you need to find out where it polymerizes at. Do a google search and you can fine those temps.
While it’s a quick method to strip wire wheels are not the best for striping cooktop surfaces and can actually make it harder for seasoning to adhere.
Also adding oil after every cook and not bringing it up to a high enough temp to polymerize leaves you with a non-adhered seasoning that will peel and flake.
So using elbow grease scrub off what you can. If there’s anything left. Spray yellow cap oven cleaner on and wrap it in a plastic bag. Scrub wash rinse well. If flash rust forms use a 50/50 vinegar water mix to remove . Rinse with cold water dry apply thin layer of oil. Move on to seasoning.

If there’s no rust apply a very thin. layer of oil. Wipe on and wipe off so there’s no sheen. Using your temp chart heat the top to the temp required and maintain for 1 hour. Cool down. Repeat oiling heating another 3-4 times.

You haven’t properly seasoned it .

whatever oil you use you need to find out where it polymerizes at. Do a google search and you can fine those temps.
While it’s a quick method to strip wire wheels are not the best for striping cooktop surfaces and can actually make it harder for seasoning to adhere.
Also adding oil after every cook and not bringing it up to a high enough temp to polymerize leaves you with a non-adhered seasoning that will peel and flake.
So using elbow grease scrub off what you can. If there’s anything left. Spray yellow cap oven cleaner on and wrap it in a plastic bag. Scrub wash rinse well. If flash rust forms use a 50/50 vinegar water mix to remove . Rinse with cold water dry apply thin layer of oil. Move on to seasoning.

If there’s no rust apply a very thin. layer of oil. Wipe on and wipe off so there’s no sheen. Using your temp chart heat the top to the temp required and maintain for 1 hour. Cool down. Repeat oiling heating another 3-4 times.
Ok thank you! I had to replace the regulator a few weeks ago. So now if I can 2 of the burners to light that sounds like a plan. This thing is becoming a PITA lol

I use flax seed oil, it has one of the highest flash points and it creates a durable coating. I put a thin coating of oil on, turn grill on high and when it stops smoking, let it cool down to warm and repeat 4-5 times.

when i get one thats been used or new one i put vinegar on and low heat let set few hrs. then wash soap n water with scour pad then coat with canola oil heat on low till smokes let sit till cool, then more oil n scrub in. but ya have cook on it many times till really seasoned. but after each use scraper n re oil for next use no hot water, can use cold water and plastic brush then oil right away. heres a pic of proper season. just cooked eggs from my chicken this morning
20211030_142322.jpg

Last edited:
thats a De buyer pan from france. but i treat my griddle from camp chef the same. all like em are carbon steel

This is what it looked like about a week ago.

Attachments

• 20211003_130933.jpg
    20211003_130933.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 65
that does not look bad . after use u have to scrape n re oil for next use if u dont it dries out.. but wire wheel does not get in pores. acid does. then oil nd heat do there job into steel not on top

that does not look bad . after use u have to scrape n re oil for next use if u dont it dries out.. but wire wheel does not get in pores. acid does. then oil nd heat do there job into steel not on top
Yea that's what I done. The stuff I watched said to put a thin layer of oil on it once it cooled off to keep it from rusting?

many people dont understand carbon steel , my grandmothers did

Reactions: chopsaw
sorry i edited about acid to prepare for oil season while you posted. u need to get into steel pores befor season

new carbon has always come oiled waxed or rusted. ya need that stuff out to prep for seasoning. n cooking

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky